This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

The lower limits of Mg

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by detlef, Dec 31, 2005.

1. detlef

detlef Subscriber

Hi Tom,

your rec. for Mg supply reads 1/4 teaspoon ~ 1,67g MgSO4/week/20g. This rounds up to 22ppm MgSO4 or 2,2ppm of pure Mg.

From what I've observed I say this: With hornworth in my tank (a real fast grower) introducing 3,5ppm of pure Mg/week did not support growth of Rot. rotundifolia in the long run. Other data: KH 2, NO3 5-10ppm, PO4 0,4ppm, lighting 2,7 watts/g, press. CO2 (mist).

After months of introducing 3,5ppm Mg/week (other param's as stable as possible) I measured only 2,2ppm Mg (GH 2,3, Ca 12,4ppm). Supposedly hornworth has been taking up a considerable amount of Mg. Rot. rotundifolia resumed growth from only 1cm/week to normal rates (>5cm/week) after I added one extra ppm of Mg (MgSO4 and MgCl) during a 3 day period and keeping Mg levels there (4,25ppm) after wc's. Sounds weird to me as only 1ppm Mg makes up for such a difference. From what the plants are telling me I'd rec. keeping Mg round about 4ppm min. (might be related to KH etc.). From my observations I derive also that there is a distinct difference in Mg demand. Hornworth does not need as much Mg as R. rotundifolia.

Please take these findings with great caution since I have NOT repeated the test nor can I exclude measurement errors. Just my 2 cents since we don't know much about min/max amounts of Mg.

Regards,
    Detlef

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: The lower limits of Mg

I think based on some of the references, you can easily dose more, but you should see a significant improvement with the 1/4 per week. 2.2 ppm a week is not a lot of Mg, but then again, other products also add Mg. I use an all in one product for GH, it adds SO4, Ca and Mg (more than SeaChem).

If you found adding another 1-2ppm works, your tap is really soft from what I understand, then there should be no issue.

SFBAAPS found adding about 2-4 degrees of SeaChem eQ solved any Ca,SO4, Mg issue.

I add about 2 degrees worth.

You can individualize the GH components to get a better handle on it, the reason Mg is such a popular issue, is that folks tend to have Ca as the lion's share of their GH in the tap water.

In designing a trace, macro, GH etc, you want to add a little K and Mg and Ca in most of these.

These do no harm at the higher levels near `as I can tell for Ca and K, I have not done extensive Mg work personally.

I have plans to torture Rotala wallichii and R "green" indica with Mg and soft water. We have not had issues with Rwallichii at 3-4 GH from SeaChem EQ ever. The plants grows very rapidly.

So higher levels seem to do well with all the K, Ca, SO4, but perhaps individually Mg plays a different role if it is high relative to the other GH/salts.

I pick sensitive plants to do these test on for this reason, then you can assume the rest of the weeds will do fine over a wider, broader range.

Regards,
    Tom Barr