The light limiting growth management method

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Although I'm sure CO2 can play a role, the amount of light certainly plays a factor with for example Glosso. You can see this below with pics and various PAR readings at substrate level:

50 micromols:
IMG_3634.jpg

70 micromols:
IMG_3638.jpg

90 micromols:
IMG_3740_2-1.jpg

You can also see the increase in light in the pics. The were taken with the same setting on the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
IME a good trim and not allowing the Gloss to get over shadowed plays some of the larger roles.

The ADA tank I posted illustrates this.

kiddjam

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2012
dutchy;70124 said:
Although I'm sure CO2 can play a role, the amount of light certainly plays a factor with for example Glosso. You can see this below with pics and various PAR readings at substrate level:

50 micromols:
IMG_3634.jpg

70 micromols:
IMG_3638.jpg

90 micromols:
IMG_3740_2-1.jpg

You can also see the increase in light in the pics. The were taken with the same setting on the camera.

did you trim them? it is hard to tell... but, if you could make three of them separately grow the same time with different micromols......then it becomes the fact......

kiddjam

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2012
Tom Barr;70130 said:
IME a good trim and not allowing the Gloss to get over shadowed plays some of the larger roles.

The ADA tank I posted illustrates this.

I saw the HC you grow, they look nice, are they bought back in small patches of carpet already? ....... IME, weak HC when planted they need a longer time to adjust with the environment.... I personally grow HC with 55w 7200k PL/H light.... they grow good, low and thick, but it was in summer time... I open the window shield to let the sun came in and act as a supplement.....

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I typically plant very small bits everywhere, ADA tends to buy entire pieces and then packs them together, I'd say ADA's way is better, cost more etc......but the overall cost is actually quite low compared to an ADA style tank.

BTW, Dutchy's tank is Gloss, not HC in the above photo.

Jonathan

Junior Poster
Dec 19, 2012
I've been using this method but lately I am jealous of the color high light allows with certain stem plants.

Is there any way to know how much light you can afford before nearing the end of your limits ? I hope what I am asking makes sense.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Not really, you end up changing your plans, and abilities vary user to user greatly. Some can handle more light and stems, others try it and quickly go back.

In other words the main variable is People.

You can spend more for multibulbs or dimmers etc, then adjust, or use a higher light pendent and adjust on an open top tank etc.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Not really, you end up changing your plans, and abilities vary user to user greatly. Some can handle more light and stems, others try it and quickly go back.

In other words the main variable is People.

You can spend more for multibulbs or dimmers etc, then adjust, or use a higher light pendent and adjust on an open top tank etc.

Aug 18, 2010
I had glosso on this tank in which light was about 25-30umol at the substrate. Always I had trouble with Co2, it grew upwards.

I wish I have a more decent photo, but I have no longer this tank.

Regards