This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

The hard life of planted tank in Lebanon beirut

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Briceboke, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Briceboke

Briceboke Member

Local Time:
    8:24 PM
    Hi guys,
    Long time no post,
    I made a rescape of my aquarium,
    Tell me what do you think.
    First picture before.
    Then after
    Have a great day

20181102_161333.jpg

20181122_185347.jpg

20181122_185336.jpg

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    1:24 PM
    That's looking very nice. Its come a long way!

3. Briceboke

Briceboke Member

Local Time:
    Yes no main issues.
    My only concern is the lack of Red on plants so I added a stronger t5 last week,
    Some green spot algae are coming...
    Any idea what should I do?

1543048029207497200661001581679.jpg

4. edelry.junior

edelry.junior Plant Enthusiast
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:24 PM
    Hi Brice,

As Burr said, your tank really has come a long way. That is good progress :)
    On the algae issues, I would suggest you keep the CO2 reasonably high and steady, and make sure the phosphate levels are high enough as well, dosing for PO4 could be around 3 ppm of PO4 per week, maybe higher depending on how much you already dose.
    With PO4 and CO2 out of the way, I would make sure everything is really clean. Clean all the filters, hoses, glass, remove bad leaves and also vacuum the substrate.
    If vacuuming is not possible because of plants/hardscape/other reasons, try using a turkey baster.

When everything is really clean, it becomes much easier to avoid algae. Lowering the lights could be an option against GSA, but I am not of fan of this route.

A more dramatic approach against algae in general, would be to dose Seachem Excel or Easy Life Easycarbo (2% Glutaraldehyde), at 1ml per 25l. At this concentration I never had issues with livestock.
    This has to be done carefully because, in my experience, your carpet plant (Riccia Fluitans) is not the biggest lover of it. I also have Riccia and had no issues with Seachem Excel, even when dosed at 1ml per 5l.
    Riccia is quite hardy but not the biggest fan of overdosed Excel/Glutaraldehyde. Also, this is much more effective against hair/brush algae, rather than against GSA.

About the red color: remember it really depends on the plant, some ludwigias and alternantheras easily display good red colors, other plants are definitely trickier. Light plays a role, sure, but you can add a lot of light and the plants will still remain green/copper.

In my experience, plants will color better when you have leaner nitrates levels in the water. How lean, well, just try it. I would expect to have decent colors with 15 - 20 ppm of NO3 dosed weekly. But this is something you have to see for yourself. Just watch the plants closely, and tweak slowly, allowing them time to adjust.

#44 edelry.junior, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. Briceboke

Briceboke Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for the great reply,
    I am on it

6. Briceboke

Briceboke Member

Local Time:
    Do you know guys what is the name of these plants?

20181129_185832.jpg

20181129_175607.jpg

DeepMetropolis likes this.