The "Devil's roots"

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
I had a couple. I moved them to my shrimp tank because they are unhappy with higher CO2 in my main tank. Didn't want to lose them because they are expensive.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
woops

adapt or die, first time for that so its ok if it dies, ill try to grow some emersed, heard it can be done correct? or is that hairgrass v. belem

Damnt...

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
DutchMuch said:
woops
adapt or die, first time for that so its ok if it dies, ill try to grow some emersed, heard it can be done correct? or is that hairgrass v. belem

Damnt...

naw it can grow emmersed, keep humidity up as much as you can, i mean 80% or higher

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
" It is now widely traded between hobbyists and is occasionally seen in shops specializing in softwater species.

Like the majority of the 1200 members of the pipewort family, this species is native to regions of moist, acidic soils in the Amazon Basin. Specific taxonomy has not yet been established, but the first collected specimens were taken near the Brazilian city of Belém.

This plant is somewhat unique in appearance, possessing a delicate umbrella-like top. No doubt this trait is responsible for its growing popularity. Several related species are also becoming popular and vary only in their particular leaf structure.

This plant has a reputation as a demanding species, but in reality it can be quite hardy provided it is kept in soft water. A KH of 2 or lower is desirable. An acidic substrate will also be beneficial, and many of the newer commercial substrates will suit this plant perfectly.

Like many species with delicate leaves, it does best under intense lighting with CO2supplementation. It will readily assimilate nutrients from its root system, but water-column fertilization can also be used. Micronutrients and sufficient iron supplementation will ensure healthy growth tips and a brilliant green coloration.

"

*FACEPALM*

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
In addition, they assimilate nutrients to the leaves as well. You can grow a syn with no roots at all in tact. So both root and leave can take in nutrients....Wanna talk discuss debate syn? sir? come on?

Reactions: 2 people

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
boy I know nothing about this plant lol!

I cant debate about it :( idk hey do you think itll live in my tank?

I mean it is a distilled water tank... idk the gh kh of it ive only tested that once and that's when it was established (while ago) so... that's down the drain :eek:

Then the ph is like 7.8 or something....

Again never test....

Last edited by a moderator: