Re: Test Kits?
Well, my tank is small, & currently lightly planted. I plan on having a giant tank later in the year, which I am putting money back for... but in the meantime, I am trying to improve my 10 gallon to be something less gaudy than colored gravel & plastic plants. I have 1 Amazon Sword (which is living in ocnditions that are less than optimal due to lighting, & that I need to trade) & a small hunk of driftwood planted with 3 small java ferns. My bioload is high, with 5 black tetras, 3 zebra danios, a red tail black shark, & a plec. I was a total noobie when I started this tank....
My planned purchases for the tank are :
1) Buy a test kit (I want to have a solid idea of what the levels in my tank are. I want to know what my nitrates are, & when I need to do a partial water change)
2) Buy a bag of Eco-Complete, & replace my current substrate with it. (also going to go hunting for some slate)
3) Get control of the levels in my tank by planting heavily. (looking forward to a large portion of Java Moss, & Clover)
4) Make a DIY external filter.
5) Once I have an idea of how my water levels are fluctuating, & I am comfortable with them, I am going to stock some shrimp.... Likely just Ghost Shrimp.
I hate to have to get the dull old test kit out of the way 1st, but a mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do.