This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Temperature Efficiency

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by shoggoth43, Mar 24, 2019.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:56 PM
    is it more efficient to keep the temperature ~stable during a 24 hour period ( 1 degree Fahrenheit swing ), or would running a few degrees warmer during the day and letting it cool off during the night be more efficient? The latter is how the newer thermostats for houses are generally programmed but air is generally much easier to heat than water.

I’m thinking of doing a sun warmed river scenario with some mild seasonal changes thrown in but if it’s going to wreak havoc on my power bill I’ll probably skip it.

2. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:56 PM
    It would be more efficient to let the temp go lower at night. The greater the temperature difference between the water and air, the greater the rate of heat loss (or gain) there is.

Didn’t say if you were keeping temperate or tropical fish, but nature has a fair bit of variation and most fish tolerate the daily swings encountered indoors quite well. I’d just set it to a comfortable minimum for your types of fish and leave it.