This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

TDS and large water changes

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by toads74, Jul 5, 2015.

1. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:45 AM
    Im looking for some advice. I've had some fish deaths the last few weeks and would like some feedback. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

It started a couple weeks ago when we started remodeling the room where I kept the resevoir for the aquariums. I have a large amount of co2 in the well so I have to let it outgas overnight and come up to temperature after the r/o unit. I would normally mix it right there for gh and kh then pump it out to the tanks in the next room. Since I can't really do that so easily now with all the dust and work going on I'm mixing it in individual buckets and scooping it into the tanks by hand.

I'm wondering if I'm adding it back too quickly or something. I'm doing 50% weekly and noticed that the tds is very different by water change time. I mix it the same every time to about 200tds, and by the end of the week it's more like 450tds. Do you think this is an acclimation issue, or does the fert salts not affect the osmotic systems that much? I keep the gh kh and temp the same and so far have seen this problem in only one tank, mostly rummy nose suffering the worst, neons and Serpae tetras much better. Another tank with the same schedule with white clouds are fine, as well as an rcs low tech and a reef.

Thanks!

#1 toads74, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015