Target Co2 For Very Low Kh?

Tankforlife

Dec 22, 2020
Singapore
Hi there, based on the ph kh chart, if my 120L heavy planted tank is 0.5 Kh & 6.9 Ph, to reach 1 point Ph drop (5.9 Ph) which about is 18.9ppm. So does it mean its inadequate? Im already at 5bps and targeting at 30ppm, should be around 5.7 Ph? I have mostly soft plants like Tonina & Macrandras.
Although im using inline diffuser & reactor together, my tank is already very misty. Thank you

Pauld738

Feb 24, 2019
Modesto, CA
Atmospheric pressure and available co2 in the air play a more important role in your starting co2 concentration than your kh/pH. And the 1.0 pH drop usually suggested is really just a 10x increase in that starting co2 concentration.

That said, a 1.2 pH drop is more in line with what I've seen recommended these days. Of course, that depends on several factors and may not work in all cases. Many go as low as 1.5 pH drop. I've gone as low as 1.7 (1dKh, 6dGh) but my co2 system seems most stable at 1.2, which is where I am at these days.

Slow, stunted, twisted plant growth is also indicative of other issues besides co2.

You mentioned soft water. Are you also running low Gh? If you are running at 3dGh or below perhaps consider bumping that up?

NPK levels should be plentiful at all times and water flow plays a role as well. All of the above are also dependant on the amount of light?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tankforlife

Tankforlife

Dec 22, 2020
Singapore
Thanks Pauld738.
NPK and all other factors aside, assuming its good. For Co2, Im hoping to drop at least 1.2 ph (currently just around 1 ph drop and its heavy planted. I prefer no mist so I added a reactor after my inline diffuser at the cannister outflow (but inject CO2 into inline only, and no co2 to reactor). The flow has slowed by about 20-30% but Co2 only improved very very slightly and the mist is still the same as much. Failed.
So i moved the inline diffuser to before the cannister (oase 600) and removed the reactor. Results: No mist (hooray!) but no improvement to ph drop, and some cough from cannister. Failed. My question is....
a) Is there a way that I can improve co2 with no mist? Currently its already 5bps. Drop checker just normal green.
b) I noticed my inline diffuser is not giving very fine bubbles like those in tank diffuser, is this normal?
c) Should i try putting a diffuser next to inlet pipe, let it suck fine bubbles into cannister?

sorry too many question! Thank you so much!

Pauld738

Feb 24, 2019
Modesto, CA
I would not put any co2 before the canister filter.

And sorry, I'm not going to be much help with inline diffusers as I've never run with them.

What about removing the diffuser and just using the reactor?

I would think an Oase 600 would be plenty, almost over kill on a 100 liter tank. So you should have plenty of room for flow reduction. The fact you can't do more than 1.0 has me thinking the diffuser is the limiting factor.

And if you have it, I'm real curious to know what your Gh is?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tankforlife

Tankforlife

Dec 22, 2020
Singapore
Sorry for the slow reply. My Oase 600 doesnt seem strong, despite after cleaning. And its a bit weak for reactor. Yes i think u’re right, maybe the inline is not producing fine mist, that may be the limiting factor even adjusting to higher bps. Im not a fan of mist..so im playing with the Ista max reactor a bit. Maybe ill change the Qanvee m2 inline diffuser to a finer grade and shift to after cannister. Or maybe add a pump for stronger vortex. What diffuser is good and easy to maintain?
My tap GH is about 3-4..i dosed some equilibrium after water change.

Pauld738

Feb 24, 2019
Modesto, CA
Oh, so you are adding a gh booster. Thanks for the info!

Weird on the Oase 600. I have 2 for my upcoming UNS 120U build. While I haven't run with plants yet, I have filled it with water and run the Oase 600's and it didn't seem like they were lacking for power? At 435 liters I would say 1 Oase 600 is not quite enough for high light/co2/stem plants but just barely. But that's my very subjective, not quite setup observation, lol! Other's may have a different take on that. :)

I have been using the Aquario Neo diffuser's for the past 2 years. Very nice micro bubble creation and I don't really clean them much but I have a compartment in the back of my hi-tech tank that all the equipment hides in. They have a new version these days that is sleeker but it will still stick out like a sore thumb in a tank without a back compartment as most in tank diffusers do. The only mist I get is from pearling. But that's on a 10gal tank.

And this has me thinking... Any co2 check valves in the mix?

If so, I replaced my plastic one that came with my co2 unit with a Nikou stainless steel check valve and my co2 fluctuations that I had been battling the past couple of months went away. So maybe the limiting factor is the check valve? Not allowing enough pressure thru to allow the inline diffuser to work properly? Just a thought as most inline diffusers require a pretty hefty psi to operate effectively.