This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

tap water

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by WAX, Feb 28, 2007.

1. WAX

WAX Junior Poster

my tap water is coming out at.

gh = 10ppm
    kh = 12ppm
    ph = 8
    will this be ok (thats what i'm useing right now)
    or should i buy a buffer. and if so what.

thanks

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

You don't need a buffer - neither pH up nor pH down. Your high KH, due to carbonates in the water, will make the water's pH be 8 for typical dissolved CO2 in tap water. If you don't add CO2 to the tank water, the pH will probably go up a bit more as the dissolved CO2 is dissipated and/or used by the plants. That isn't the greatest water for an aquarium, but if you aren't trying to grow the few plants that require low KH you will do ok with it.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

That is some soft water!

Well, buy the GH booster from Gregwatson, you'll need it.
    Adding KH is not critical, you might add a 1/4 teaspoon per 100 liters of tank of baking soda after a water change if you are so inclined.

I would add about 1/2 teaspoon of the GH booster definitely though.

Tap sounds pure and very good.
    Do not worry about the tap water's pH, it does not matter, what does is the GH and KH.

Those are ppm's and not degree units(which are 17.86 ppms per unit) correct?
    Just making sure there.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

KH of 12 dKH and pH of 8 are consistent with about 4 ppm of CO2 in the tap water. If the KH is ppm, that is consistent with essentially zero CO2 in the tap water, so it could be either.

5. WAX

WAX Junior Poster

i'm sorry. i was wondering why you said my water was soft.
    there in degrees not... ppm sorry again