tank yme

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: tank yme

Oh the temps matter not..............

This plant is from the tropics, it's much warmer than 28C!!

I live in CA where it gets to 40-45C every day, the tank's stay around 30-35C. Seems like CO2 issue.

Try the CO2 mist hitting the Tonia directly.
This will allow you to fully use the CO2 without gassing the fish.
You do not need to mist the entire tank, it's fine if you do, but you will notice how well mist works on this plant and realize that it's CO2.

CO2 mist is a great tool to see if a plant needs/likes more CO2 and grows better with it. It gives an excellent example of what the plant's true potential really is.

Once you know that, then you have gauge to compare to.

Regards,
Tom Barr

yme

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2005

hi tom,

glad to hear that the temperature isn´t an issue!

I found today another powerhead (900 l/h, a bit too much, but anyway) and bought the smallest airstone in the lfs. I simply connected the CO2 line to the airstone and mounted the airstone in the inlet of the powerhead.

The effect is wonderfull!!! The bubbles are ten times as small and reach the complete tank. It really is mist now! I am definately happy. I am still planning to setup two powerheads and split the CO2 outlet, but the lfs (another one) is closed due to vacation, so that has to wait for some time. For the time being, I use the too powerfull powerhead to get the mist everywhere.
So, although not perfect, I think that the mist "hardware" is now good enough for the tonina.

let´s wait......!

greets,

yme

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Well, anyone that's a CO2 mist doubter, I do understand their belief's on that issue, should really give it a try and see if they can come up with a good reason as to why the dramatic difference in results are so often observed.

The effect certainly gives many folks the visual cues to know what the max growth rate looks like using CO2.

Keep watchinhg and use it for at least 2- 3 weeks and see how the tank pearls throuhg the entire week, and not just the first day or so after a water change.

You should also measure the O2 levels before and after.
That's about the best measurement indicator for growth changes.

Regards,
Tom Barr

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany

I found that the bubble size is crucial. Due to marl deposits or algae growth on diffusors/lime stones the bubble size increases day by day. Bigger bubbles hitting the leaves means less efficiency. It's best to keep whatever device is used for misting very clean. Even if I don't see any debris I clean my diffusor once in a week on the water change day.

Regards,
Detlef

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I've been using the ADA and some of the Azoo diffusers as well and blasting this mist around, you can run it more consistent if you feed the mist into the suction side of the powerhead or better yet, a good venturi valve, these ain't cheap, but they maintain a serious small bubble size but also require high flows, just like a skimmer.

Anything that drives skimmers efficiently/stability will work well.

Regards,
Tom Barr