Tank stand for a 180 gal

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new stand for my 180. 72x24x24 inches.

I want a higher quality than basic pine and it has to have room for my plumbing config and pre-drilled tank.

I like the mica/glossy type look as well as a nice wood....not sure what other materials are available.

I have done some web surfing but don't really see too much.

Should I just find a local cabinet maker or furniture maker?

Appreciate any thoughts.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Given shipping costs now I would look for a local cabinet maker. You might also try some of the larger aquarium builders and see if they have any on closeouts since that is a common footprint.

My next project is going to be a little bit bigger than that but by length. I'll be using tube steel as a frame for strength and .25" high grade ply for the skin. From the outside it will look like solid wood. The benefit of doing it this way is keeping the weight down but retaining structural strenght.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd look Local.

Show them what you want(picture of an ADA type knock off etc) and see how much it'd be.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking local... Have e-mails in to 4-5 places around here....

J, I was thinking of a skin myself but a very high quality wood that formed 3 sides and was easily removable from the frame to give me total access and to protect during routine maintenance. I saw this done on some Oliver Knott tanks and thought it was a great idea.....

I like your metal frame idea though.....but I am okay with a strong common wood since the nicer skin will cover and is what will be seen :) I want to build in some electrical outlets, soundproof, a light or two, fan, etc.

A friend noted that since it will be with me for a while to think of it as a long term investment.... he mentioned that since I put forth such effort to make the overall tank so nice, and that it is a hobby important to me, that I should highlight it on a nice piece of cabinetry. I intend to have the tank for a long time, so the stand will be with me as well.

I think that sounds pretty logical :)

So, will let you know when it is complete.

Last edited by a moderator: