Tank Split

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
very slight ridge on the frame of the cabinet resulting in not using enough foam padding under the tank. cracked from corner to corner and wooooooooooosh

just shows, 1/2mm out of line when you lay down the tank and bang. theyre buying a nice new one and ill put another slab of glass on the bottom of that one, repair the cabinet and test it outside for a while lol

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Wow, ouch.

I set up a nice 1200$ starphire custom glass tank and they did not glue a small section in the bottom of the overflow.

I had to take the entire tank down after spending 3 days on the set up:(
Good thing for the insurance!!

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
Flora, gives new meaning to your tag line about the only things that happen quickly!!!! Shudder.

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
sure does... im just very happy it wasnt mine that it happened to. and theyre giving me the old one, including the cabinet.. should be fairly straight forward to replace the bottom.

fortunatly, they were lightening fast at getting the filter outlet out of the nearby window, so pumped about 2/3 out as it emptied through the crack in the bottom. and there were no fish in it, as we'd only set it up 48 hours earlier, so it coulda been much much much worse. makes you realise though, just how damn important the finest detail is when your mounting your tank.

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
I hate to admit it, but my cube has no foam on the bottom. I was assuming the cabinet was flat.. ugh.

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
Thats exactly why I mount my tanks on 1" polystyrene...

Had a friend smash one of her tanks, she got loads back, including a new carpet off the insurance company

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
indeed, a frameless tank.

It was actually bespoke made for someone, somewhen, together with the cabinet. The problem arose where they built the cabinet, and failed to level the corner pillars that made up the framework, producing a 1mm excess at one corner.

the tank itself was very nicely done, spared along the inside top edges. Its an odd size, being about 45x23x25 (ish)..

I got a quote for the replacement glass for the bottom at only £35, so its well worth having a go at. The rest of the tank is in good condition, so provided I clean off the old silicon from the bottom Im confident I can make a good seal, Ill set it up outside for a few days on the cabinet (which ill rectify as well). And then make sure my house insurance is upto date :)