This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tank Covers

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:50 PM
    I want to use a tank cover, below the lights in my canopy, which are 3ea 250 MHs, and CPs. Is a glass top ok for this? I thought of using a plastic grill, but thought it might melt, as my lights are just above the surface. Any comments? Thx in advance. :D :D :D

Walter

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Lexan might work okay.
    All plastic will warp and bend some, some some Starfire 1/8" would be good.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Glass shouldn't be a problem with any typical light for an aquarium. I'd be more concerned with any plastic used on hinges/handles.

-Philosophos

4. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If you are worried about the heat then add some clip-on fans in the back and plug them in to the timer to your lights , The glass will get hot , my glass got a bit warm and i only had 6 t5 ho's in my canopy. With 3ea 250 MHs, and CPs its going to get hot!!

:cool:

5. wilsar

wilsar Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    sorry for hi-jacking this thread but, regarding tank covers. is there any knowledge as to different materials limiting certain wavelenghts from passing through them (in respect to aquarium tank covers) and being detrimental for plant growth.
    i ask this as i need to cover some tanks to stop evaporation and have a huge pile of perspex, but am worried as this might limit beneficial light rays from entering the tank. i do understand that tank covers do limit intensities somewhat but have also read somewhere that UV rays are absorbed by certain manufactured plastics. do my concerns merit any truth?

6. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As I recall from my work experience years ago, acrylic plastics absorb UV radiation very well. I'm not sure about any other plastics.

7. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Re: Tom's comment about Starfire being a good choice... Would the Starfire let more usable light through for the plants or is it strictly for aesthetics? Or is there some other reason to use it? I've been using acrylic, but want to switch over to glass. Trying to find a local glass shop that will make them for me.

8. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I had a local glass store cut glass for me when my glass cover broke. You have to ask because there are 2 type of glass that use different materials limiting certain wave lengths too passing through the glass {one will have a green tint on side view the other glass will be much clear on the side view}