Tank Clouds Up Overnight, Clears Up By Evening

Nov 2, 2018
Belle River, Ontario
I'm officially stumped and asking for a bit of insight.

I have recently (January) flooded and started up my DSM Method tank. I've befell most disasters an aquarist could have in a lifetime in a few short months.

I've had a filter die, equipment being lost in transit... but I digress...

My biggest issue was dealing with Green Water which for the most part not sure if it is now. At first, I could say it was. Looked like soup, through elbow grease and increased CO2 I've managed to remove it or I think.

Each time when the lights go on, the tank is definitely a hazy greenish color (could be the HC Lawn reflecting, never thought about this) which fades to a milky white haze when the secondary lights come on and then to clear (or somewhat) in the evening.

The aquarium is tucked into a corner so it receives no direct sunlight and just a hair of indirect for 2 hours.

I've kept tanks that received direct without any issue this is why I am stumped. Of course, no tank is the same.

7.9GALS
Pressurized CO2
Temperature 76F
2 Finnex Fuge Ray Planted+ (8hrs X 1, 4hrs X2)
Eheim 2211 Canister Filter with tons of Noodles and a layer of Polyfil
Glass Lily Pipes (Outflow is a Violet, which I am changing for standard)
Dosing Thrive+ (Twice a week, Saturday after water change of 50% and Wednesday) 1 Pump
Daily Flourish Excel (1 cap)
Fluval Black Sand (Initial layer of Laterite + Peat)

Right now also employing a Top Fin HOB (with clip on UV Sterilizer) to help battle this. It dawned on me this morning, that I might be barking up the wrong tree.

At first I thought it was lack of flow, hence the HOB and my purchase of a different type of Lily Pipe (I have the filter a full throttle) .

I've employed Air Walls at night during no CO2 thinking it might be an O2 problem, but still murky. I can supply pictures if it helps starting with lights on today and then closer to lights off in the evening.

It's weird, and time to call in more opinions or observations.

Regards,
Gary

Nov 2, 2018
Belle River, Ontario
m6a4NIt.jpg

Now this is lights on at 2pm. You'll notice how hazy it is. This is picture 1 of 3. I will post another when the secondary set of lights turn on at 4pm...

Gary

Nov 2, 2018
Belle River, Ontario
LOL no. I have both filter(s) running all the time. Even after my big water change, filter cleaning, the haze returns. It seems to be a never ending issue, I am starting to guess I'll be dealing with this for along time.

What surprises me is how clear the tank is by the evening... late evening, usually around 6pm... I wonder if I need to adjust my lights to 10hrs and CO2 to compensate?

Gary

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
I guess, you could try a 50% or more water change every day for a week or two, it might help to settle the tank down. I'd also float some fast growing stems in there to absorb excess organics or nutrients, it might help reduce the cloudiness. I don't think increasing the photoperiod is necessarily a good idea, you could run in to trouble with algae.

Nov 2, 2018
Belle River, Ontario
I had a ton of Amazon Frogbit in there and it started to block out light to my Blyxa, but I still have some in there.

Yeah i was considering a 30-50% on Wednesday and redose. I usually dose on Saturday (water change day) and Wednesday, so that will fall into place nicely. Did i mention I am using RO/DI water as well?

Thanks.
Gary

toads74

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2013
This is stretching it a bit... Had a tank that was hazy for the first few months due to the livestock being more active at night. Eventually the filter and light vacuuming removed the fine silt they kept stirring up.

Nov 2, 2018
Belle River, Ontario
The tank, cleared up. I did my usual Trim, 50% Change, Filter Cleaning, replace the filter moss in both and by Sunday afternoon Crystal. Not sure if this was the remedy but whatever has happened, the clear has continued.

@toads74 : I have one lone guppy and Cherry Shrimp (and some snails that are going to be on the extinct list soon) in the tank. Not sure it they could produce such a cloud but it's done...

3nfirUj.jpg

Later on today, a sharper image, not a hint of haze left. Thanks for all that replied.

Gary