This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

T5 tube options for high tech planted tank ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Trevor Pleco, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Trevor Pleco

Trevor Pleco Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:10 PM
    I will be unpacking my x6 80w ATI unit this week end and so just working out which mixture of tube options I go for, as before with my Hagen x4 54wt unit I had less options and then went for x 2 Sylvania Grolux and x2 Sylvania 6500k daylight which worked well for me.

I was wanting to get 80w Grolux, but our local sole importers of Sylvania are out of stock in 80w ! :( The agents/importers are suggesting Aquastar as an alternative, which is 1000k and not full spectrum but gives the same pink colour I understand, which I really like to show off the fish and plants and seems to balance out the greenish cast of the Sylvania or Philips 6500/8000 daylight tubes. I would be keen to hear any thoughts on the comparison between Grolux vs Aquastar ?

Another suggestion was daylight triphosphor tubes, which I’m looking in to, but again I like the pink Sylvania colour…?

I guess it would be a ludicrous proposition trying to import tubes damage wise ?

2. mrkookm

mrkookm Guest

Local Time:
    2:10 PM
    I'm not familiar with those models, but if it were mine I would add 2 plant specific lamps 'Pink' or 5000K regular if the plant lamps are scarce. Then 2 to 3 6500K or 2 6500K + 1 Blue or 10,000k.

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

3. Trevor Pleco

Local Time:
    thanks mrkookm, the reason for using up one of the slots with a blue light would be ? I notice some of the blue T5s are also 15,000K..

4. mrkookm

mrkookm Guest

Local Time:
    Sorry bout that Trev, just been nusy lately and it's hard to keep up at times.

Anyways the reason why I suggest 'Blue' (should have been more specific on lamp type) is 2 fold, i.e., visual appeal and target the 430~450n spectrum similarly how we target the 630~650nm even though we have full spectrum lamps. The 10K is more about the visual appeal.

5. Trevor Pleco

Local Time:
    Ok thanks, so the blue is mainly for cosmetic/look reasons then, rather than being to beneficial for the plants and if you have a tube slot spare. The blue tube (Coral Star) available at my LPS is 20,000 Kelvin, so a bit concerned it might stimulate algae ? I would be mixing it with x 2 sylvania grolux and x3 sylvania daylight 6500K.

6. mrkookm

mrkookm Guest

Local Time:
    No, the Blue lamp color is not[/] the main reason. The goal is to use a lamp that has a spectral output that peaks in the 450nm range (usually Blue output) since plants actually use that during photosynthesis. So, whether it falls between 12,000k~20,000k the ultimate goal is finding a lamp which is in the ranges mentioned. If the color is too Blue, then find something less Blue but ensure it is still in that range.

If Blue is not your thing color wise, then you can add in a 10,000k which would mostly be used for color aka visual appeal only.

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

#6 mrkookm, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. mrkookm

mrkookm Guest

Local Time: