This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

T5 Too Much Light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bazzar1986, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Bazzar1986

Bazzar1986 New Member

Local Time:
    6:47 PM
    I'm setting up a 36 x 12 x 16 tall and have a 1 or 2 x 39w t5 retrofit from one of my old reef tanks. The plan is to set up a lower tech tank to start. The light would be about 4" above the water in a canopy. Do you think 1 39w t5 would be too much light? Rotala Butterfly calculator says 28 par with no reflector which if its correct should be about right. My other option would be a Fluval 3.0 but it seems quite a few tanks I see are T5 lit. Anyways thanks for your time.

Greggz likes this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:47 PM
    It should be okay. I recommend that you plant heavily from the outset either way; it infers greater biological stability. Floating plants are always a good option in a low energy anyway, but they're a good way to reduce light intensity hitting the immersed plants.

3. Bazzar1986

Bazzar1986 New Member

Local Time:
    6:47 PM
    Thanks Tim, Iv'e go a few Truelumen Floras on the way which are not highest par bulbs out there but should hopefully put me in the right range with some good color. As far as planting, I'm planning to plant as heavily as I can from the get go. Just have to find the right person to buy from that has a good selection of low tech plants and enough quantity to fill it up.

Greggz and Tim Harrison like this.