This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

T5 lighting fixture 72" - can be HO

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Gerryd, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:52 PM
    Hi all,

I have been doing some research on various T5 light fixtures for my 180..

The aqua medic only seem to have HQI/T5 combo in 72"..

http://www.aqua-medic.com/oceanlight_T5_HQI_combo.shtml

The current fixture here is nice as it has 12" of width. Both my T8 twin fixtures are only 8" pushed together..

http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCU01082

A few models here from this web retailer:

http://www.marineandreef.com/AquaticLife_T5_HO_Nova_72_inch_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_s/438.htm

but I like this one as it has lots of bulbs/spread so I can have some flexiblilty...

However a buyer/reviewer noted that only 2 actinic turn on with the 10k bulbs?? I assumed I could just swap the actinics for other bulbs...

http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RAL01193F

Remember that I will mount these and use a PAR meter to get to 50 micromoles at the substrate. There will be no guessing using wpg...

#1 Gerryd, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If using conduit, I was wondering if using two 36" fixtures would work...

Hang each fixture from conduit on each side. They could either meet/match in the middle or be offset based on need..

Hmmmmm....

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Photon Torpedoes Armed

Hi Gerry,

What is your current PAR at the substrate?:confused:

I suspect you have enough light, perhaps you need to adjust to the idea that your system adjusts to relatively subtle changes when we are not blasting the tank with ridiculous amounts of photons.

Then again I am not very smart...:eek: torpedoes away

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Bio,

PAR < 40 at substrate and 30 or less in some areas..

Perhaps I have enough but I am only looking to get to 50 PAR at substrate. I cannot get anymore out of my T8 setup so am now at max.

It is possible I am being impatient, but this is spreading while plant growth seems healthy....and the tank has now been setup since Nov 1 with weekly EI water changes, etc.

I can deal with some if it, but covering all wood, rocks, some plants, and I even saw some on my slower cories (lol)

I think you are plenty smart and I am not fooled by your declarations to the contrary....

I will give it some more time while I light shop, but I am also having issues with growing stauro which IS an issue. I want this in my look going forward.

Plus, I would like a nice looking SINGLE fixture to replace my twin T8 fixture setup....

5. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Nipat,

Thanks for the link. I will check them out. I am still researching T5 and HO fixtures. The catalina 6' fixture here seems as if it would be good and not too expensive:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1426

I have reused my MH fixtures as an experiment for the next several weeks.

The T8 are clearly at their MAX should I ever want to go higher light. I don;t like to be limited that way, as I enjoyed the higher growth rates and may go back that way again....

Thanks.

#6 Gerryd, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  7. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    #7 nipat, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
  8. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi all,

I am now looking at this 72" fixture as it provides a nice spread and has 4 bulbs per each 3' half..

http://www.aquaticlife.com/t5ho/index.html

So, I can remove bulbs as needed to get to the desired PAR..

I would add the Giesmann bulbs as well.

I will suspend using conduit or steel bar so will have plenty of adjustment....

Nipat, I will keep that 5' option in mind, but would prefer a 6' fixture if possible :)

9. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi all,

Well, for several reasons I have gone for overkill (again) and purchased the following fixture:

http://www.aquaticlife.com/t5ho_six_lamp/index.html

Before anyone accuses me of abandoning my low light scape by purchasing a 12 bulb fixture, please be reassured....

Please note that I will be using only a small portion of the bulbs and will be looking for 50 micromoles at the substrate and will use a PAR meter to adjust height/remove bulbs...So, not like I am going back to 75-100 mmoles at substrate....

I like this fixture as it has a great spread using 6 bulbs. The single power cord, builtin timer and fans, and the look/dimensions were all factors....It also fits into any future plans for a deeper tank, reef conversion, etc..Provides lots of future flexibility and seems well built..

It will be interesting to measure the PAR of this fixture using ALL of the bulbs using the mounting legs that get it 2-4" over the water :)

>1500 anyone? LOL

I will most likely suspend them at least 10-12" above the water surface to start and see how that works.

I also purchased 4 each of the following as originally I was going to get the 8 bulb model:

Giesemann 36" 39w Midday T5 HO Lamps

Giesemann 36" 39w AquaFlora T5 HO Lamps

and will be using these bulbs going forward...I have heard great things about these bulbs and the mixture should work....

I bet I end up using only 4 bulbs. Two on each side and one of each pair on the outer ends for the best spread. Will add a center bulb(s) for any 'burst' down the road...

I want to compare PAR using the stock bulbs and then the Giesemann bulbs.....most likely will leave out the actinics in the test, but for fun may replace with the Giesemanns' just to go for 5K of PAR :)

Should be interesting and informative....

I will post pics and a review of the fixture and PAR readings of course once I get it... Next week I would expect...Bulbs should also come in by then.....

Later.

#9 Gerryd, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  10. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry,

At least you have enough different fixtures to experiment, MH, T8, T5.... :)

I can get a max of 170 micromols of PAR at the substrate with 4 rows of T5 and reflectors, but I'm not even using half of that. Fortunately I have a dimmable setup.

Keep us posted.

regards,
    dutchy

11. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi all,

Well I got the new fixture today...

Set it up just now using only 4 bulbs per side so 8 total. I used the new guisemann bulbs and they look great.

Kept it to start at 10.5" above the water surface...

Using all 8 bulbs I get a range of 100-155 max at surface and a nice avg of 30-50 at substrate.

I go in this order on each side from A-F with A being the front bulb and F the back bulb:

a Giesemann 36" 39w Midday T5 HO Lamps

c Giesemann 36" 39w AquaFlora T5 HO Lamps

e Giesemann 36" 39w Midday T5 HO Lamps

f Giesemann 36" 39w AquaFlora T5 HO Lamps

So each side has 2 of each bulb type and staggered...bulbs B and D are in the second zone which I will not use unless I can get them to work together. The LEDS are zone 3 so will use for some late night viewing lol

So will most likely lower another couple inches and see what that gets...I want 50-60 over the stauro and I am not quite there...

In comparison, the MH fixture was providing a max of >450 micromoles at the same spot where I now get a max of 150-160...

So big difference....

Looks great and was easy to setup the timer.. Only issue is that zones (bulb config) do not seem to work simultaneously.. But zone a does 4 bulbs and nicely staggered so no issue. I was hoping to have a morning, noon burst, and then twilight but no worries.

Pics coming....

I like it a lot...the look of the fixture and the look of the tank... I think we will be very happy together :)

#11 Gerryd, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  12. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Update.

Fixture now mounted 9" above the surface which provides about 55-60 PAR at the stauro patch....The crypt bed is a bit lower due to some shade via bolbitus above it....

I very much like the fixture and the light it casts....Much better than the T8 (IMO) and I like it better than the MH....

The mix of the guisemanns is nice and I will play around to see the color using daylight vs aquaflora vs the mix I have now...

The LEDs for the moon lighting look cool as well. I will see how much PAR they register....

Later!

13. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry,

That will sure give good but manageble growth. So are you keeping this tank or will it be changed with the new bigger one?

14. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi dutchy,

Yes I expect good growth...

If I get the new one it will REPLACE this one as I only have room for one large tank..

An analogy could be:

Your basic accord or camry is a fine car and will do the job, just like my current 180. But the car like my tank is now >12 years old and is time to get a new one. You could get another of the same car, or a slight upgrade, or you could go for the gusto and buy a much more expensive car, say BMW, JAG, MB, audi, etc. Both will do the basic job of transportation but the aesthetics and other features may make the experience 'better'.

I look at this the same way. I had brand new accords for 13 years (a 95 and an 01) before I got a BMW 328. Just the base model but WHAT a difference in the whole driving experience. No comparison at all.

I am hoping a new custom tank would provide the same benefit over another store bought tank/stand..Much cheaper but not really what I want...

However with my plans we are talking 5 figures when all is said and done, so I need to think about this a bit...Big $ on a car is one thing, but 10K for a 'fish tank' is different....especially when nothing is 'wrong' with my current tank setup which I like very much.

Put them side by side in your mind though and see what happens :)

In the meantime may as well get used to this light and rates of growth...

PAR for the LED's by the way was 5-6 micromoles at the water surface....

Thanks for listening.

#14 Gerryd, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  15. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    All,

Just want to note the packaging and delivery...

The 12 bulbs that came with the fixture were wrapped and packaged separately from the fixture. Both packages had plenty of bubble wrap and were well protected..This was Marine Depot..I have read threads where bulbs were installed in the fixture and ending up breaking.

The guisemann bulbs from Aquarium Specialty came HEAVILY wrapped. Bubble wrap around the bulbs, that placed inside a cardboard tube container, more bubble wrap around that, and then they boxed the tube!

So, no broken bulbs, or any issues.

All packages arrived within a week of placing the order....

Here is a shot showing the nice front to back spread as compared to the 24" tank..the fixture lens in comparison is 11" or so, a bit less than half the size..

View attachment 2257

A fullon shot but dark:

View attachment 2258

You can see from these shots what I would lose/gain:

1). The 5 over the back inlets and outlets would be gone.
    2). I would regain the real estate from the wiers.
    3). I would lose the stupid rim around the top.
    4). I would lose those across the tank braces on the top.

Btw, the hydrocotyle species growing emersed on the loc-line was previously submerged growth. When I tied it to the loc-line it eventuall decided that emersed was the way to go..plus the tiger barbs and alestes (esp) like to crop the submerged growth.

I am going to xfr some of this to the white inlets and other outlets.. I think will look nicer and a better way to hide them...

Or some other epiphyte that would work..

#15 Gerryd, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  16. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    dutchy,

As you may have realized from other posts I am keeping the 180gal. I was intending to give away the 180 the last time I answered this...I apologize. I have since discovered that I DO have room to keep it!!!

I do intend to revert this tank back to T8/no c02 and all ferns/crypts/anubias/mosses so that it is very little maintenance. I will swap the filtration for some quiet canisters as it will either be in my bedroom or office....this will leave only the new tank to be c02 and high tech. I can just use LONGER hoses to do any required water changes, so no worries there.

I originally did not think I could maintain 3 tanks, but realized that I spend NO time at all on my 48gal no c02 and I still like the fish/plants that do quite well in them...

All,

I implemented all 12 of the bulbs the other day...All Gmans staggered aquaflora/midday/aflora/midday/aflora/midday and the same way on both sides. So rows of one type right after the other. Front bulbs are the aquafloras and I end with the middays....

At 9" above the water surface it provides between the low 60s low 70s at the substrate. It provides a very nice spread and some high par of XX (will fill in) at the surface..I will most likely reduce this PAR a bit as I am experimenting....

When I use this with the new lower tank at 20" I think I can raise to about 12" over the substrate to get 65 PAR or so at the substrate...

I really like the unit and the look of it. I would recommend it for sure if you don't mind the cost...the gman bulbs provide a nice mix IMO. Just for kicks I tried the look of each separate but like the combination the best...

#16 Gerryd, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  17. Lost Csr

Lost Csr Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Love the light.
    Safe to say that the Giesemann bulbs are doing the trick. I am looking into purchasing a new light fixture and getting the same combination bulbs.

Quick question does the fan really help out? And is it noisy?

Thanks,
    Csr

18. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Your PAR (4 rows T5HO) and Gerry's (6 rows T5HO) are so different. :confused: