This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

T5 HO guide

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by soham, Feb 11, 2013.

1. soham

soham Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:53 PM
    I went through Tom's recommendations on lighting and found out that too much lighting is the main cause of algae. I lowered my lighting intensity and found this to be absolutely true.
    Mine is 50 gal (3*1.5*1.5) tank with glosso, rotala, marsilea, hydrocotyle, arcuata etc. I have 4 39 watt osram 6500k lighting. Now i am using just two of them.
    Please let me know how many should i use? 2 or 3? I will supply enough co2 and proper EI daily

2. dtang21

dtang21 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:53 PM
    Gonna hit you with a bunch of questions first...

What rate of growth are you looking for?
    How are your co2 levels in the tank?
    What brand fixture are you using (Are your reflectors good)?
    How far is the light from your substrate?
    How heavily is your tank planted?

If you choose to run 2 bulbs, the demand for co2 will be less, you should encounter less algae, and it might be easier to find the balance point for your tank. If you want faster growth, you can run 3 bulbs. In both scenarios, I'd just play with the co2 and monitor the plant growth to see if its healthy.