This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

T5 for 90?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sask_guy, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Sask_guy

Sask_guy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:00 PM
    I have a 90g and want to grow most plants. I purchased a tek light t5 4 lamp a few years ago and never used it. Just wondering how good it will be for plants

2. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    T5 works well for planted tanks as long as you get bulbs that are in the planted take spectrum. Stay away from the saltwater bulbs.

3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    12:00 PM
    Keep in mind number of bulbs your using, height of the tank, and where you put the lights. T5's are great.

question:

is spectrum as important as intensity in growing plants? I would think intensity is more important. I mean I've grown MOSSEs in almost brown bulbs, 50/50's, 20,000k mix, 6500k, 10,000k, I've done all the bulbs with moss. Home depot bulbs, coralite, reptile, etc

4. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I was more referring to staying away from actinic in the spectrum and more towards the normal planted bulbs. If you're talking in the planted spectrum, I think it matters for 'red' plants. I definitely get better red pop with red bulbs (red sun, ati purple somewhat, etc.) But I agree mosses will grow/live almost under any light.

5. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    12:00 PM
    I still believe in intensity over spectrum. I think its actually documented that your right :) . However I added red hue to my system and my pantanal didn't do jack but reflect the color of the bulb.

6. vincel892

vincel892 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Sorry for hijacking thread, but I had a very similar question. I have a 200 gallon 7 foot tank. I was thinking of switching to T5 lighting. I was thinking about getting the 4 foot T5 fixture from home depot that can hold up to 4 bulbs. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4...000732913.html Would 4 foot be enough for a 7 foot tank. If not, what length fixture, how many bulbs and what wattage do I need? I am looking to grow high light plants with CO2 injection.