This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T5 bulb comparison

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by joshvito, Oct 23, 2010.

1. joshvito

joshvito Prolific Poster

Has anyone done a comparison of the different T5 HO bulbs, and measured their respective PAR values?

I thought I read this somewhere, but cannot find it.
    Thank you.

#1 joshvito, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010
  2. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

3. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Problem with that is the method of measuring. Full tank / how full / how cloudy is the water or is it crystal clear? etc...

4. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Indeed true. If they were all measured under the same conditions though, at least you'd have comparison.

I used this chart two years ago to buy geissemans and GE Starcoats. Recently, I learned that 4 bulbs over my tank was too much. Since my Geissemans and GEs are old, I dug out two Current bulbs that appear to be low PAR (on the chart) and my plants are still doing just fine and I fight algae less. My tank is 22 inches high.

Now I'm more inclined to buy T5 HO bulbs that are locally available and look good to me. The shipping charges for bulbs kills the price advantage of buying off of the net. Unless, you want a specific bulb of course.

#4 hbosman, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2010
  5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Hoppy's drop off curves for PAR for various fixtures and bulb types is a bit more useful.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Apparently, it might not be enough if you are using a Current Nova Extreme Fixture. In Hoppy's thread on TPT, the bulbs in a the Current Fixture were basically performing at wattages for t5No rather than t5-HO, this from what I understand is due to the reflectors which according to those who know better than I are horrible.

I think I am going to go with 3 bulbs bought locally and check the results. It appears my slower, thin growth, despite EI and Wormcastings enrichment and osmo, might be due to lack of light after all.