This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

T-5?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by ajpearson, Oct 7, 2005.

1. ajpearson

ajpearson Junior Poster

Allright I am now officially confused... Im trying to decide wether to go with some t12 VHOs, T5 lighting, or power compacts and I cant see to locate and answer for how long theses different bulbs last? im cruzing the net and getting different answers.... Is there any place where I cant find this information?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: T-5?

For 55/75 gal, the T5's are nice, I like them, they are still a bit $$$ vs the PC lamps...........but they are nice.

I'd not bother with VHO's....

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. ajpearson

ajpearson Junior Poster

ok but how often do you have to replace them. What is the life expectancy of the pc vs. t5? every 6 months, yearly, or more?

4. DavidR

DavidR Prolific Poster

Bulb life expectancy:

PC - 1 year
    T5 - 2 years

Contrary to popular belief, T5's are really not any more expensive than PC lights. Given their much higher efficiency and longer life span, T5's are actually cheaper over a 2 year span (example: 55w PC bulb = $18-28; 54w T5 bulb = $10-15). They are also more effective than PC lighting, therefore, they require less light than PC.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Yya...........but I think the main issues are better light spread and less intensity(PC's have a little too much IMO, we simply do not need that much in most cases).

For smaller tanks, PC's do well but for a 55-75 gal, 2x 54 w is perfect for most designs/layouts. I've seen some very nice systems using this wattage set up.

I get 4-5 years out of my PC lamps.
    If yours are only 1 year or less, send me your bulbs:)

I've said this for 5 years and no one has ever sent me their bulbs yet..........

Regards,
    Tom Barr