Syphonning on densely planted sand and earthworm casting

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

This nano is densely planted on soil surface as you see. Substrate is Flourite Black Sand and bottom is earthworm casting

Front is dense P. Helferi and back is Eleocharis. There's just no way to access even one mm of substrate to syphon it. The front center should be soon carpeted also by glosso

In your expierience, how long will last Flourite Black Sand when densely planted that way before it clogs and roots begin to rot?

Anyway to help aerate the sand?

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I've been using the flourite sand for a bit. If you can't get to it to siphon it, you can run a siphon over the top to catch anything you can and then repeatedly jab a stick into the sand. This should break things up a big and bring some gunk out.

If your plants are doing well, they'll pump their own O2 down into the soil, so it's unlikely that the roots will rot unless there's something out of whack causing poor growth. Jabbing the stick in will help release any hydrogen sulfide or other nastiness if you do have any problems though.

-
S

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
A Funnel

Hi Jonny,

My solution is to cut off a standard plastic kitchen funnel either into a tube or on to the end of whatever gravel vacuum you may be using. Scalloping the edge of the funnel and/or drilling holes in the funnel can adjust amount of suction desired.

Another solution is a variation on S’s, with your hand or a (new) paint stirrer fan the area below and ahead of the gravel vacuum.

Biollante

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Many thanks both of you,

I'll observe the plants and behave as thing evolve following your recommendations

Thank you again