Swords as houseplants

Gomer

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005
I know that Tom posted a little bit on the APD, but I'd like to keep it going.

I have some large adult swords (horizontalis, Lothario, Red Flame) and some plantlets (kleiner bar, lothario) that I'd like to grow emersed as house plants.

Right now they are all growing submersed.

1) Is there a way to rapidly transition them to start emersed growth? I don't care if I loose all the submersed growth as long as new growth comes in reasonably fast.

2) Should we use drained pots or should we have they partially filled or fully filled with water?

3) ...umm...something I missed?

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
Re: Swords as houseplants

Interesting slant on things there Gomer. We are all familiar with LFS selling houseplants as aquatics, why not the other way.

In reality I don't think swords would work emersed unless you provided a nutrient mist system and possibly support for the leaves. Could be wrong here of course. Over to you Tom.

Ian

Gomer

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005

Swords often grow emersed or with emergant leaves in nature..but these places are usually 100% humdity tropics LOL.

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca

Gomer said:
Swords often grow emersed or with emergant leaves in nature..but these places are usually 100% humdity tropics LOL.

Tony,
At one point I found one of Tom's mess of links pointing me to some local swords (to me). Specifically, Lake Cuyamaca just east of San Diego near Julian. I don't know if the pictures on the site were of the plants, but if they were then it was a ton of swords growing emmersed (Dry season?). And the "mountains" around San Diego would be anything but tropical.

As for jumping straight to emmersed, the leaves on my plain old amazon's dried to a shirveled mess quite quickly above the water line.

--Mike

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Echinodorus berteroi is native to Santa Barbara co, the Santa Ynez river.
It is CA's only native Sword, there is a Water Plantain, Alisma plantgo-aquatica(alsio a narrow leaf A. lanceolata) and a couple of Sag's.

So those are your likely criminals.

All are fairly nice weeds, they will live in very desert regions, but, the roots need water and need to be wet.

I have many pictures of E berteroi, one of the prettiest leaves you'll ever see submersed. Very tough plant.

Some Anubias also make house plants as do some Crypts, we grew plenty outside in the summer.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gomer

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005

Tom,

How do you recommend these swords be potted?

1) fully drained like most house plants using normal potting soil?
2) Not drained where the water is just below the surface?
3) Not drained where the lower 1/3 or so is submerged?
4) potting soil/sand mixture
5) etc etc

Thanks for any feedback!

Nillo

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005

I have a sword in a fishbowl that grew emersed on its own. It has been growing that way for many months now. The older leaves tend to get a little burnt on the edges, but not that badly. I'm certain this is because I live in Southern California and have very little humidity. Although lately we seem to have quite a bit of it. I have noticed that it tends to like having water above the crown. When the water line drops below the substrate it starts wilting fast. I would recommend a deep rich substrate with rock topping for neatness.

Gomer

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005

With a deep, rich substrate with water reaching the crown level, do we have to worry about the system going anarobic?

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

Gomer said:
Tom,

Gomer said:
bumpidy bump bump?

I'll try to get Tom back here after the March Barr Report gets officially released (coming soon) ...

But just a quick reminder ... this is the Off-Topic Subscribers forum ... this is your forum and you will rarely if ever find Tom here ... http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=84

Gomer

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks. I'll post future postings out of here that need his attention ;)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Gomer said:
Tom,

1) fully drained like most house plants using normal potting soil?
2) Not drained where the water is just below the surface?
3) Not drained where the lower 1/3 or so is submerged?
4) potting soil/sand mixture
5) etc etc

Thanks for any feedback!

About 50% sand to 1/3.
1/3 peat
1/3 Potting soil

Flourite can be subed for the sand.
Seems to do better with 100% flourite and a rich nutrient bath for a few species.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Moisture?
They like good sun, good watering, and warm temps.

Regards,
Tom Barr