Sword Plants

BobB

Junior Poster
Aug 27, 2008
I have 58G tank 36x18x20. I hae a 2x96W fixture but no CO2. My question can I grow sword plants successfully.

Panda

Guru Class Expert
Jun 14, 2008
Puerto Rico
I think that's a lot of light for a non-co2 tank. you can try running one light for 8 hours and overlap the other one for 3-4 hours and add excel, maybe even less time in the overlapping
others with more experience can drop their 2 cents

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Sword plants don't require a high light tank, so I agree with Panda. The problem you will very likely run into is that almost all but the grassy type sword plants will grow much too big for the tank. I have always liked the appearance of big sword plants, but I hate that they soon own the entire tank.

prjct92eh2

Junior Poster
Mar 11, 2008
I took one of the plantlets from my 38 Gallon (same width and height as your tank, with CO2) and put it in a 10 gallon with ecocomplete and two screw in CFL and it is growing fine, just slower. As Hoppy said, the sword plants will get big. However, i usually keep mine in check by trimming off leaves at the base as they reach the water surface. Here's a pic, there is 3 amazon swords behind the driftwood.
aquarium140.jpg