This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Sword Plants

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by BobB, Oct 6, 2008.

1. BobB

BobB Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:52 AM
    I have 58G tank 36x18x20. I hae a 2x96W fixture but no CO2. My question can I grow sword plants successfully.

2. Panda

Panda Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I think that's a lot of light for a non-co2 tank. you can try running one light for 8 hours and overlap the other one for 3-4 hours and add excel, maybe even less time in the overlapping
    others with more experience can drop their 2 cents

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sword plants don't require a high light tank, so I agree with Panda. The problem you will very likely run into is that almost all but the grassy type sword plants will grow much too big for the tank. I have always liked the appearance of big sword plants, but I hate that they soon own the entire tank.

4. prjct92eh2

prjct92eh2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I took one of the plantlets from my 38 Gallon (same width and height as your tank, with CO2) and put it in a 10 gallon with ecocomplete and two screw in CFL and it is growing fine, just slower. As Hoppy said, the sword plants will get big. However, i usually keep mine in check by trimming off leaves at the base as they reach the water surface. Here's a pic, there is 3 amazon swords behind the driftwood.
    [​IMG]