This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to dry dosing

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by sauk1, Aug 9, 2016.

1. sauk1

sauk1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:57 AM
    I am using solution based dosing today with a solution 3x per week 10ml/100 litre tank water. The solution recipe I got uses four 500ml bottles:

5 tsp/25 ml KNO3

1 tsp/5 ml KH2PO4

1 tsp K2SO4

25 ml of a Micro+ solution

Water change every 7 days approx. 40%.

Edit: //Today I add all four solutions at the same time, three times a week.//

I can see some nutrient deficiencies on bucephalandra and I wonder if I dose correctly.

When I read about dry dosing I am also confused. Some use MgSO4, some KH2PO4. What should I use? And I can't tell how much I should dose in millilitre dry powder for a 360 litre aquarium.

Please help and give me advice.

From the tap I get 32 mg/l Ca and 2 mg/l Mg according to the water company report.

I have kh 4 and gh 5 last time I checked.

#1 sauk1, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    MgSO4 and CaSO4 are GH or General Hardness chemicals. You will need to add them after each water change. Generally in a 3:1 Ca to Mg ratio. This has nothing to do with the KH2PO4. Since your tap has plenty of Ca, may be just add MgSO4. No need to make a solution of MgSO4 - just spoon it in. One or two tsp of MgSO4 should be enough per week.

Dose traces on days when you are not dosing KH2PO4.

Increase water changes to 50-60%.

3. sauk1

sauk1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Pikez, thanks for the input! If I switch to dry, what should I add (except Mg) and how much?

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    360 L tanks are big enough for dry dosing macros safely.

I'd dose KNO3 and KH2PO4 for macros.

You may be able to dry dose traces + iron as well with CSM+B or something equivalent.

If you are absolutely certain about the Calcium levels in your tap, then you can skip CaSO4.

How much? Well, use this: http://rotalabutterfly.com to figure out exact amounts needed for your tank. Aim for 10 ppm nitrate with KNO3 and may be 1-2 ppm phosphate with KH2PO4. You'll get enough potassium from these two that you won't need K2SO4 separately. Dose this every other day. On days when you're not dosing this, dose your traces and iron.

I like dosing half to full EI levels of macros. And 10-20% of EI for traces. There are thousands of people who dose full EI dose levels of traces without issues, so don't get scared. If you accidentally overdose, just do a couple of back-to-back water changes.

Fertilizing is easy. Spend a lot of time mastering the art of CO2, circulation, filtration, surface agitation/aeration, trimming, cleaning, and other totally boring things. It's these boring things that will make your tank a success, not fertilizers.

2 people like this.
  5. sauk1

sauk1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks! That helps!

A dumb question. The tablespoons tsp in the calculator are they equiv of 5 ml as in Europe?

6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Tablespoon = tbsp

Teaspoon = tsp

These are rough measuring guides for powders, not liquids.

7. sauk1

sauk1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have yet another follow up question. When using a calculator I am suggested dosing approximately:

1 tsp trace x 3 times a week

4.5 tsp kno3 x 3 times a week

1 tsp kh2po4 x 3

This is for 360 liters.

But after my first dose of everything (day 3 in the week) I notice 20 ppm no3 and 1 ppm Fe. No change if I pause one day. I use a liquid test kit.

Is something wrong?