Switching to canisters.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
..............but which ones for 55g and 30g heavily planted goldfish tanks ? I am thinking of getting one Eheim 2217 and one 2215. Too many choices and I do not have any experience on using canisters. My buget will be $300.00
 

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
2,280
4
36
61
The Netherlands
I had good experience on my old 55g with an Eheim 2071. I comes completely filled and has a big filtering surface, a water shut off valve and 250GPH capacity.

regards,
dutchy
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
dutchy;55282 said:
I had good experience on my old 55g with an Eheim 2071. I comes completely filled and has a big filtering surface, a water shut off valve and 250GPH capacity.

regards,
dutchy

Yep, I like the Pro 3 series also. My budget is $300.00 (or I get killed by wife) so, it looks like I can only get one Pro 3 and one Classic if I decide to go with the Eheim.
The initial budget was $ 500.00 but, she found out that I ordered 160lb of Eco-Complete. Who am I to argue?:)

Thanks Dutchy.
 

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
2,280
4
36
61
The Netherlands
Seems like you have some serious persuading to do first. Bring some flowers, or anything else that pleases her ;) then pop the question :)

regards,
dutchy
 
C

csmith

Guest
I've currently got 2 Fluval 305's on my 55 gallon. There is indeed some overkill there, but knowing I'll never be short on filtration is pretty cool.

By the way, check this site out. They give some seriously deflated numbers as compared to what these companies are putting on the sides of their boxes.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=59
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
csmith;55287 said:
I've currently got 2 Fluval 305's on my 55 gallon. There is indeed some overkill there, but knowing I'll never be short on filtration is pretty cool.

By the way, check this site out. They give some seriously deflated numbers as compared to what these companies are putting on the sides of their boxes.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=59

Well, I can always use one of my 6 HOBs with the canisters. Thanks for the link csmith.
 
C

csmith

Guest
barbarossa4122;55289 said:
Well, I can always use one of my 6 HOBs with the canisters. Thanks for the link csmith.

Wasn't meaning you needed more flow, just stating what I had. Whatever you go with I'd cross reference with that link. I did that with my filters and I'm really leaning towards those numbers versus what Fluval claims.
 

hani

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
302
0
16
i suggest you go with 2 X 2217, i have 2 on my 75g, and one on my 45g.
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
csmith;55290 said:
Wasn't meaning you needed more flow, just stating what I had. Whatever you go with I'd cross reference with that link. I did that with my filters and I'm really leaning towards those numbers versus what Fluval claims.

I know.:) I am reading the chart right now
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
hani;55291 said:
i suggest you go with 2 X 2217, i have 2 on my 75g, and one on my 45g.

Yeah, that's within my budget. Or maybe one 2071 and one 2217.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

aman74

Prolific Poster
Feb 22, 2007
46
0
6
csmith;55287 said:
I've currently got 2 Fluval 305's on my 55 gallon. There is indeed some overkill there, but knowing I'll never be short on filtration is pretty cool.

By the way, check this site out. They give some seriously deflated numbers as compared to what these companies are putting on the sides of their boxes.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=59

I was looking at that list and the listed GPH is the same as what the ads say the GPH is. I think I'm missing something because I thought you were saying that they were showing what the actual flow is vs. the advertised spec?
 
C

csmith

Guest
aman74;55298 said:
I was looking at that list and the listed GPH is the same as what the ads say the GPH is. I think I'm missing something because I thought you were saying that they were showing what the actual flow is vs. the advertised spec?

The site shows "actual" flow. Atleast for the filters I know.

Fluval 105 Claimed on box: 125 gph On that site: 85 gph
Fluval 205 Claimed on box: 180 gph On that site: 110 gph
Fluval 305 Claimed on box: 260 gph On that site: 185 gph
Fluval 405 Claimed on box: 340 gph On that site: 225 gph

barbarossa4122;55303 said:
Compared to other sites PetSolutions is charging way too much for the Eheims.

I didn't even realize it was a site that sold products. Guess I back doored myself to that spreadsheet. Maybe try fosterandsmithaquatics.com?
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Water flow

Would I get enough water flow with the canisters ? Right now I am running 2 Koralias in the 55g and 1 in the 30g.
 
H

Htomassini

Guest
i am using a single rena xp4 in a 90 that i will soon be moving to my 210. I have an eheim 2017 and 2013. The problem with the eheim is that thye cannot polish the water very well. The media it comes with is good (e substrat) but you need your own verly large filter bags or its a mess. They are a bitch to prime too. plus the ratings on eheim are half in real life.
I found the rena online for like 130. nice baskets, easy to prime, and it will polis the water too. i use the ehiem bio material in it.
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Htomassini;55316 said:
i am using a single rena xp4 in a 90 that i will soon be moving to my 210. I have an eheim 2017 and 2013. The problem with the eheim is that thye cannot polish the water very well. The media it comes with is good (e substrat) but you need your own verly large filter bags or its a mess. They are a bitch to prime too. plus the ratings on eheim are half in real life.
I found the rena online for like 130. nice baskets, easy to prime, and it will polis the water too. i use the ehiem bio material in it.

Darn, I am researching this canister filters for the last few hrs and can not decide. I guess I have to read some more. Can one use diy mechanical media for canister filters? I have lots of poly fill , poly batting and blue bonded pads. Btw, the xp4 looks attractive for my 55g.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
C

csmith

Guest
barbarossa4122;55317 said:
Can one use diy mechanical media for canister filters? I have lots of poly fill , poly batting and blue bonded pads. Btw, the xp4 looks attractive for my 55g.

This is what Wet does.