switching from seachem to EI, where to buy, what to get.. also root fertalizing

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
setup is 260 watts of PC 6700k over 75 gallon tank, will post current pic so you can see what plants and general setup of tank..

have tap water around 135ppm, tank has been around 175ppm lately when tested with TDS meter, however I am going back to adding in some RO and will be keeping the PPMs between 140 and 150 at the highest

last time I tested my KH I think it was around 7-8, my ph is over 7.3 out of the tap...

I have flousih substrate

I have a pretty effecient co2 system and keep my levels pretty high, I have never tried to figure out what PPM it is, I judge by pearling of plants, and fish health while keeping system running high as possible without gettin alot of gas build up, its an aquariumplants.com reactor modified with an airstone in it to get smaller bubbles for the reactor to work into the water, it runs on a rena xp4 to give it ample flow to mix in co2,

it was high enough my fish were almost gassed, then from some advise from Tom, I added some circulation, koralia nano 240 gph pumps on both sides and switched out my eheim 330 gph canister for the 450 gph rena, those are only ratings and I'm sure done actually give me as much, however it was plenty to get my fish happy and I even added another 25% co2 with them still breathing normally throughout the day.. so again not sure how much co2 I have going but seems to be plenty..

as right now I am dosing double the recomended amount by seachem you can imagine it will soon be expensive when I run out and I would like to start dry dosing..

I want to have all my bases covered, I have excellent math skills and a very nice large digital scale that goes down to the tenths of a gram and weighs up to 500 grams

I want to make sure I am not missing anything, have any deficencies, and have all the proper ratios for maximizing my plants growth and coloration.. I am ok with buying from multiple companies and or making my own mixes

also as I have been explaned that flourish substrate does not have nutrients I would like to add something for the roots in the way of root tabs, gel caps, or any other method other than replanting or ripping up existing substrate..

here is tank yesterday morning sorry for the crappy quality of the picture..

DSCN7686_01.jpg

and here is my nano which will be gettin the same thing done in the smaller incrimates for this size tank

DSCN7394_01.jpg

thank you!!!

Mikey.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Ooo, one of my favorite fish chips, because they love to jump out............clown killies!!!

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
those kilies are pretty cool, did not know they were tasty! ;)

There are a couple places you can buy dry ferts: www.aquariumfertilizer.com or www.greenleafaquariums.com

The compounds will be pretty much identical wherever you get them. You will need KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B (a trace mix). I get a bag of Fe and mix extra iron in with my CSM. I suggest a GH booster to be used at water changes to ensure you are getting enough Ca and Mg. With the RO water you may want to consider adding a bit of CaCl and epsom salts to reconstitute it. Aerate thoroughly prior to adding to the tank.

Check out the EI threads for suggested dosing. WAY cheaper than your seachem line!

There is a thread around here about using osmocote frozen in icecubes to add nutrients to the sediment. If you don't want to go the DIY route, you could check out www.rootmedic.net. There are plenty of substrate tabs here made by a fellow hobbyist.

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
106875 1 Plantex CSM+B - $12.00 / Pound 12.00
106877 1 Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - $3.00 / 3.00
Pound
106878 1 Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) - $3.00 / 3.00
Pound
106874 1 Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) - 5.00
$5.00 / Pound
300149 1 Manganese Sulfate (MNSO4) - $1.99 / 1.99
2 Ounces
106872 1 Iron Chelate - $10.00 / 1/2 Pound 10.00
106869 1 The Ultimate GH Booster - $5.00 / 5.00
Pound
106867 1 1000 mL (32 oz) Fertilizer Dispenser 5.99
300154 1 Atomic CO2 Diffuser - 45mm 18.99
200737 1 Brass Check Valve

ordered today... going to make the tropica mix I think... but not sure yet..either way this should cover my EI for a while... going to make some root tabs out of gelcaps I think, they seem like and excellent solution, has anyone had any problems with using gelcaps..

the difuser on my fluval 88g co2 on the 5.5 gallon is about shot so going to try to use the atomic difuser thing they have.. hope its not too bulky in the tank, if so might try to modify my canster filter for it to go in the one chamber... its one of the zoo med 501s

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
kiineticcomfort,

Your tanks look great!

also as I have been explaned that flourish substrate does not have nutrients I would like to add something for the roots in the way of root tabs, gel caps, or any other method other than replanting or ripping up existing substrate..

Why?!?!?? Your carpetting plants look fantastic as they are. Is the substrate just flourite, or have you added something in the past, perhaps at tank start up, which you are worried might run out?

If you have never added anything additional to the substrate, why the sudden need to add root tabs etc given that water column fertilisation alone seems to be doing the job?

I've asked some similar questions about substrate fertilisation recently myself, my understanding is that, provide water column fertilisation is at non-limiting levels (e.g. EI dosing), substrate fertilisation is really just a "back up" in case you miss water column dosing for whatever reason.

Would love Tom to chime in on this one to clear it up.........I'm right aren't I Tom??? :)

Scott.

BTW - is the return from your external reactor just in front of the Koralia there?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Scott,

I've asked some similar questions about substrate fertilisation recently myself, my understanding is that, provide water column fertilisation is at non-limiting levels (e.g. EI dosing), substrate fertilisation is really just a "back up" in case you miss water column dosing for whatever reason.

Would love Tom to chime in on this one to clear it up.........I'm right aren't I Tom???

I was under the impression that plants MAY extract nutrients from the soil, water column, or BOTH based on the species...

I have used plain flourite for years and carpet plants will grow well in it using c02 and EI..

However, IMO, having nutrients available in BOTH places in non limiting amounts seems to be better for the plants.

I will be using ADA for the first time soon so I may be able to compare the same species using the same PAR at least and EI dosing....

Thanks and sorry I am not Tom :)

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
haha the right side is a bit of mess, the scrubber half of a algae scraper is stuck to the magnet on the koralia, it just happened a little before that pic so I did not take it off yet as I was in the middle of tank duties in front of that on the glass is 2 digital thermometers that I bought in DC at the ACA convention(which was an AWESOME time! did'nt realize the conventions were such a party) lol but apparently ZOO MED does not put their best out there when promoting products as the thermometers are different by 1.8 degrees and they are within a couple of inches of each other, then behind that is a 300w fluval m heater that is sitting on the substrate as I am waiting on my inline to be sent to me and they holder suction cups are too close to glass and push the heater off of it, and to the right of that back in the corner is the outflow of my canister\reactor, its an Eheim kit but with a Rena filter, when I switched the filters the tubing was the same so I left it...

root tabs are not for my foreground plants, they do very well and I am happy with them, however my stem plants could give me a bit nicer color and some more reds I would really like to get the intense color change out of my ludwigia inclinata var verticalla cuba, rather than the whitish tops that seem to extend the length of the plant, rather than the green to whiteish yellow to red, also my pogostem something or other is only semi bright red rather than bright red..

DSCN7697_01.jpg

and behind the driftwood is the ludwigia, it has been replanted about 2 weeks ago, although it does gett pretty nice color it is not untill it is within and inch of the surface.. and by then the bottom and middle of the stem are not lookin so hot

DSCN7648_01.jpg

but mainly as in nature it seems to me plants would get alot of their nutrients from the substrate, so even tho they can recieve their nutrients from the water column I would prefer they have it availble in both places

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
so I want to add a little additional Boron to my mix as far as I can tell that would be a good idea..

I am goin to basically mix the tropica mix that you can do with the GLA CSM+B and I think MNS04, I would also like to add a small amount of Boron..

questions where can I get Boron in its most pure form without adding other rigamorol in such as in Borax I believe it also adds salt and some other stuff..?

also for adding K, I saw the the ADA ferts use a different form of K i believe KCL or KCI where can I find this in a powder..?

thanks all!

Mikey..

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
Tom Barr;70941 said:
Ooo, one of my favorite fish chips, because they love to jump out............clown killies!!!

I learned my lesson a couple months back, we had our big auction of the year(ACLC) and I grabbed some cheap killis for a buddy of mine who is gettin back into the hobby, and really liked killis when we were checking out stocking his tanks...

I had them in a bucket with a sponge filter going, the water was keep about 5" down from the top of the bucket, the next day when I went to bag them, only 2 were left and the rest were scattered around the carpet, one was halfway across the room!

between them and a band of suicide bombing marbled hatchets that can find any opening and get through it, my tanks stay tightly covered..