Switching from Flourish and Excel to Dry Ferts and problems?

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
Hi .

I want to switch to a dry combo of Ferts say Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, any thing else I need to add?

Iron Maybe?

Thanks a bunch, will subscribe soon.:p

Jeff

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Excel is not a "fert" per se, but an alternative source of carbon (kinda of a Co2-light). Different topic-keep doing what you have been doing with Excel.

Also, its very caustic, use common sense handling it and don't breath the vapors (even though I kinda like the smell)

Mar 20, 2013
US
Just FYI, 5lbs of magnesium sulfate can be bought at Safeway for $4.
You also need a phosphate source: Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4).
Maybe a calcium source if you have soft water: calcium sulfate (CaSO4).
You may need trace elements like CSM+B.

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
Solcielo lawrencia;114761 said:
Just FYI, 5lbs of magnesium sulfate can be bought at Safeway for $4.
You also need a phosphate source: Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4).
Maybe a calcium source if you have soft water: calcium sulfate (CaSO4).
You may need trace elements like CSM+B.

A little late but no safeway's around here.

Have the other stuff.

Thanks , but algae going crazy now.

Time to add some CO2 I think and maybe kill that algae off with hydrogen Peroxide.

Jeff

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Hi Jeff,
Most any drugstore will carry Magnesium sulfate as Epsom salt.
http://gardening.about.com/od/organicgardenin1/f/Epsom_Salts.htm

Are you still dosing Excel?
Flourish Excel Alternatives;
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7153-flourish-Excel-Alternatives

reef12;115043 said:
Thanks , but algae going crazy now.
It would be easier to understand what's going on if you take the time to explain what amount of fertilizer you are dosing, the dimensions of your tank, the lights you are using, some of the plants you have questions about, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
Tug;115044 said:
Hi Jeff,
Most any drugstore will carry Magnesium sulfate as Epsom salt.
http://gardening.about.com/od/organicgardenin1/f/Epsom_Salts.htm

Are you still dosing Excel?
Flourish Excel Alternatives;

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7153-flourish-Excel-Alternatives

It would be easier to understand what's going on if you take the time to explain what amount of fertilizer you are dosing, the dimensions of your tank, the lights you are using, some of the plants you have questions about, etc.

Sorry for the late come back but yes just started again, and have a 2 liter bottle coming , so should last awhile, as will be cutting back soon, trying to kill off the Black beard Algae.

Thanks for the heads up but seems a lot of trouble , with the mixing and all.

Using the Tank size chart, 125 Gallon, 380 watts of VHO 10,000 K bulbs and just added 6 3 Watt LED's which put out a bunch of light will add 6 more to fill in one corner soon.

All done by me and I did order a Dimmer so good there as can cut back on them when done I want to replace all bulbs to LED's.

Do like that smell of Excel though.:)

I dose a tad over two Teaspoons a day of Dry fert's Macro Micro mix from the Fert store and I just started adding a tad more of Potassium as I have noticed holes in leaves and I hooked up co2 about two weeks ago 1 Bubble a second, for now.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
reef12;115794 said:
Sorry for the late come back but yes just started again, and have a 2 liter bottle coming , so should last awhile, as will be cutting back soon, trying to kill off the Black beard Algae.
Thanks for the heads up but seems a lot of trouble , with the mixing and all.

If you are talking about taking the trouble to mix one of the Excel alternatives, you just dose half the recommended Excel dose.
They are ruffly twice the strength of Excel.

Using the Tank size chart, 125 Gallon, 380 watts of VHO 10,000 K bulbs and just added 6 3 Watt LED's which put out a bunch of light will add 6 more to fill in one corner soon. All done by me and I did order a Dimmer so good there as can cut back on them when done I want to replace all bulbs to LED's

Sounds as if your using your reef lights. The watts per gallon rule isn't very helpful. It has more to do with the distance the light travels from the source to the substrate. You will need to hang those lights in the next room. The 10,000 K bulbs might not be of much use. I'm not an expert but 10,000 k falls outside the PAR used by plants for photosynthesis. You might want to ask around for some lighting options and read Hoppy's article, Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

The LED build you are talking about sounds great. You should start a thread on the build. I'm sure others will find it interesting. You might even find some helpful suggestions. My concern would be, combining the LED's with the VHO. You would be wise to start a topic on light and another topic on CO2.

I dose a tad over two Teaspoons a day of Dry fert's Macro Micro mix from the Fert store and I just started adding a tad more of Potassium as I have noticed holes in leaves and I hooked up co2 about two weeks ago 1 Bubble a second, for now.

This is what I do know, what you think is K+ deficiency is more likely CO2 and PO4 related. Try adding some Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) and dose 0.4 grams/daily. That's about a rounded 1/16 teaspoon a day. The 2 teaspoons of MMMix should be fine dosed daily and the mix provides more then enough Potassium. You should not need to add any additional K+ when using the MMMix. I just don't get the appeal of the MMMix when all of the ingredients in it are available separately. IMHO, MMMix is better suited to PMDD. :subdued:

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
Tug;115824 said:
If you are talking about taking the trouble to mix one of the Excel alternatives, you just dose half the recommended Excel dose.
They are ruffly twice the strength of Excel.

Sounds as if your using your reef lights. The watts per gallon rule isn't very helpful. It has more to do with the distance the light travels from the source to the substrate. You will need to hang those lights in the next room. The 10,000 K bulbs might not be of much use. I'm not an expert but 10,000 k falls outside the PAR used by plants for photosynthesis. You might want to ask around for some lighting options and read Hoppy's article, Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

The LED build you are talking about sounds great. You should start a thread on the build. I'm sure others will find it interesting. You might even find some helpful suggestions. My concern would be, combining the LED's with the VHO. You would be wise to start a topic on light and another topic on CO2.

This is what I do know, what you think is K+ deficiency is more likely CO2 and PO4 related. Try adding some Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) and dose 0.4 grams/daily. That's about a rounded 1/16 teaspoon a day. The 2 teaspoons of MMMix should be fine dosed daily and the mix provides more then enough Potassium. You should not need to add any additional K+ when using the MMMix. I just don't get the appeal of the MMMix when all of the ingredients in it are available separately. IMHO, MMMix is better suited to PMDD. :subdued:

Well first thanks Tug on the bulb deal, nope all new lights, I guess kind of left over for when I did reef tanks high K rating, some now use 20,000 K wow eye blinding light.

A pic of what I had , well one of them, consider the Corals as Saltwater Plants. LOL

img001_zps2e8e328f.png

Okay I don't dose dry the two Teaspoons are from the made up from this.

Plantex CSM + B: Mix with a ratio of 1/4 cup of CSM + B to 2 cups water (or 60g to 500 ml). Dose 1-4 drops per gallon per day.

I dose two teaspoons maybe I should do 3 as not fast growth.

Here are the LED's

IMG_1759_zps7aa754dd.jpg

IMG_1761_zps1f33fb05.jpg

IMG_1766_zps237f3920.jpg

IMG_1771_zpsa0002251.jpg

Again thanks and adding another 6 to the right corner to fill in the none light area, my plan is to replace all the VHO's with LED's over an extended period I think 20 of these will replace two 95 watt bulbs with ease.

I will try your idea of the added Phosphate.

Will keep informed.

Jeff