This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching CO2 diffusion method

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by mr_convitbau, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mr_convitbau

mr_convitbau Junior Poster

I just switched my CO2 diffusion method from glass diffuser to an Aqua Medic 1000 reactor.

With the glass diffuser, I turned on CO2 one hour before the light is on, and then off right at the time the light is off.

With the CO2 reactor, when should I turn on and off CO2? I always see some CO2 build up inside the reactor a few hours after CO2 is turned on.

Between two methods, which one will introduce CO2 faster to the tank water?

2. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

CO2 on one hour before the light is on, and then off and hour after the light is off. That's about what everyone set's there CO2 for with a timer .
    mr_convitbau what size tank is this for and are you using a power head or a close loop with a external pump for your setup?
    With an external pump you can run a co2 line tubing from your bleeder valve from the AM 1000 Reactor {leave the valve open on the bleeder valve}to the front of the pump using a tee and get even more better co2 mix with the water and that should stop the CO2 build up inside the reactor.

Aqua Medic Reducing Tee - 12 mm x Airline Tube Images

There is more info here also on this mod for the AM1000 CO2 Reactor.

3. mr_convitbau

mr_convitbau Junior Poster

I am just rephrasing your suggestion to make sure that I totally get it. That is to turn on CO2 ONE hour BEFORE the light is on, and then off ONE hour AFTER the light is off.

Am I understanding correctly? Do you turn off CO2 one hour AFTER but not before the light is off?

4. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

No, CO2 is usually turned On before lights and off also before lights.

The timing will depend on your plants/drop checker result/method of diffusion/ water circulation...

You have to give it a try. Begin with 2 hour start and one hour end, and adjust depending on the results