This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Swiss Army 3.0

Discussion in 'Journals' started by easternlethal, Sep 15, 2020.

1. easternlethal

easternlethal Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:04 AM
    Ok this journal will be about my new build.

It will be 125 gallons, high tech with sump, deep substrate, and nature style.

It has been nearly a year in the making because I have planned pretty much everything from the stand, to the overflow system to the composition of the substrate.

First up is the stand. Here it is with my old 55 gallon on top. It is assembled from aluminium tslots (I hope it can take the weight!)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#1 easternlethal, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. easternlethal

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    After that, installed a wooden base (painted white with the help of my kids) and then came the 15mm glass for the aquarium, which I had to get help to put together.

At this point I discovered that the glass was not low iron. No wonder it was so cheap! But nevermind.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#2 easternlethal, Sep 15, 2020
  3. easternlethal

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Then I installed the power strip on the underside of the wooden base along with the water piping, finally added the substrate which was piled up in the middle of the tank. My plan was to cover the whole thing with a thick layer of sand so as to create an anaerobic layer.

The substrate was made up of potting soil, clay, iron oxide, mgso4, diatomaceous earth, osmocote and lime. I'm hoping this will help to reduce the need to mix my own ferts (which I have been doing for years for swiss army tank v 2.0).

At this point I'm still not sure my frame will be able to take the weight of the aquarium.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#3 easternlethal, Sep 15, 2020
  4. easternlethal

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The three pipes you see at the back are my bean animal pipes and my outflow.

Technically you are supposed to have an overflow box and three outflow pipes but overflows boxes are a pain to keep clean and take up too much space. So I thought I'd just go with the pipes which hopefully I'll be able to cover later on.

Although plants at this stage are the least of my concerns as I've never had so much water in my living room before.

#4 easternlethal, Sep 15, 2020
  5. easternlethal

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Then in went the sump, hardscape and water.

The hardscape was patched together with wood, super glue, tissue and cigarette butts and has to be weighed down by a huge stone.

Boy was I nervous filing the thing up.

But finally I did it, and managed to create a pretty silent siphon with the bean animal.

At this point the whole tank still sounded like someone was taking a shower because I'm using a jecod dcs 5000 which is a 40w marine pump and the water was gushing into the sump without any media.

However I put some sponge filters into the sump and covered it with towels which helped a lot. After doing, noise level was just 45db.

Previously I had always used biomedia in my sump but in this build I plan to experiment with deep sand below the trickle filter, which is supposed to have excellent filtration properties.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 easternlethal, Sep 15, 2020
  6. easternlethal

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Going to let this run for a few days to get familiar with the behaviour of the piping and sump.

And also clean up the huge mess of tools, wood, aluminium frames, pipes, stone, sand and god knows what else I have cluttering the living room.

After the break in period I will install co2, lights and plants.

At this point I still have no lights because I am torn between getting nice looking lights (either a chihiros vivid 2 or kessil) and pro grow lights which have a wide spectrum and far reds (>700nm). Something I have been reading a lot about. Maybe the mars hydro or there is a shop in china which makes a lighting jig that can house kessils or similar cobs down the middle and t5s on the side (looks like the starship enterprise).

Any ideas anyone?

#6 easternlethal, Sep 15, 2020
  7. DTWGulo

DTWGulo New Member

Local Time:
    8:04 PM
    I have used Mars Aqua black box lights on a planted tank (full power on the RGB, minimal on the blue/actinic) with great success.
    Also just installed 4 MicMol pendant lights (not their newest version, I'm one gen behind) that I bought last year and just got around to installing on my iwagumi. They're quite bright and are designed specifically for freshwater.
    Both of these options were less expensive than some of the other high-end lights out there.

easternlethal likes this.
  8. easternlethal

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Now once the tank is set up I have always found the initial stocking stage the trickiest because there are so many factors to consider when adding all the plants fish and lights.

At this point not everything is fully established and balanced (even if fully cycled) because unlike show aquascapers, I cannot afford to fully stock everything from day 1. This means that bioload will continue to fluctuate as I add more livestock over the first few months. Anyway this is where I'm hoping the deep substrate will help.

During this time there's also algae and bacterial growth to contend with.

IMO this is the stage where dreams can turn to dust if the aquarist doesn't manage the tank well.

Anyway my regime is:

Lights: In the past I have found that blasting a new tank with lights 8 hrs a day accelerates tremendous algae growth especially when livestock is added. So in this setup I have opted for just 4hrs of hi-light and 4hrs low light.

Plants: I have added water lettuce and some other surface plants to help soak up excess nutrients. The rest of them are just random stock from my lfs. I'm hoping they will establish and start growing.

Livestock: All the community fish I can afford without overloading.

Water changes: at least twice a week to get rid of excess tannins and stuff from the sand.

Here are the pics. This is day 2 after a 50% water change and tannins are already starting to build up. Plants are nothing to look at yet. I just chuck them inside first and rearrange once they survive.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Lighting: I finally went for the mars hydro sp3000 which is an industrial grow light. Colour temperature I would say is around 3500k.
    [​IMG]

#8 easternlethal, Sep 26, 2020 at 12:40 AM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020 at 8:10 PM