Swedish DIY venturi

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
311
1
16
Metric Too ???

1. 55* input 15* output 7.9375 at the throat. 4.7625mm dia. X 1.5875 depth for the opposing pressure well, and 6.35 dia. on the gas intake. OOP !

1. 55* insatsen 15* produktionen 7.9375 på halsen. dia. X 1.5875 djup för den mitt emot tryck brunn , och dia. på det bensin intagen.

Metric ! WTH ? :gw
 

peterhaack

Junior Poster
Jan 26, 2005
7
0
1
HAHA love the translation you are telling me to use Gasolin in the gas inlet haha..

well the diameter inside of tube
1. is 21mm and in the middel(thin part of the tube) it 8mm and the inlet for gas is a 6mmtubing with inside diameter on 4mm.

Lazy as i am i haven tested it yet but hmm maybe i should, ah well there comes another day tomorrow.


2. is 17mm and in the middel(thin part of the tube) is 6mm and same gas inlet.

Do you think that will work as a venturi and will it make small gasbubbles if it does maybe it will be a good ide to blow in to the reaktor, what do you think about that Proffesor M
 

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
311
1
16
When it comes to translator Syntax...

I guess any gas is as good as another ??? :p

My first impression was that your diameters were very Very Close ! The difference lies in controlling the tapers of the inlett, and output. This is nearly impossible to control by thermo forming pipe without a constricting mold to limit the expansion.

Secondly: For our purposes (Co2 Injection) we require a greater gas intake velocity, and a smaller orifice. The smooth transition of the stretched taper is actually an impediment. We require a sharp edge to the throat, and an increased pressure differential to chop up smaller bubbles of gas. (Carefully study the Mazzei Illustration) pay close attention to the offset diameter of the opposing pressure well. Mazzei Injector Corp. - How a Mazzei Injector Works This forces the stream to turn/cut across the intake port ripping the bubbles from the orifice. If the intake jet has a sharp proud edge it will punctuate the portion of gas more effectively, but there is a very fine point of adjustment before it actually impedes the flow, and decreases the liquid velocity. (This is why I used an 1/8 bulkhead to sleeve the capillary tube) it's threaded and has a nut on it to raise or lower the intake within the throat. I'm just lucky that it reinforced the tube or it likely would have burst as Tom pointed out ! ;^)

Combine this with a lower flow rate to sustain the reaction, and a significantly smaller volume of gas, and the task becomes a formidable challenge.

We can decrease and meter the gas intake, but we still require a significant shear force to tear the bubbles from the orifice.

The process is a vast contrast to O2 or O3 injection.

Last point of observation is that if you accomplish these goals a reactor is almost un-necessary. Tom's greater point being that we may not want to contain the reaction at all, but distribute the confluent to the tank creating a gaseous interface of Co2 through the micro bubbles, and the plants.

I've tested dissolved Co2 against misting, and those plants that enjoyed the introduction of Co2 micro bubbles thrived by comparrison. (Tom makes a Very Good Point) :cool:

So long as we are designing a more efficient diffusion we may as well finish the job, instead of resuscitating the aborted shortcomings of prior methods, and systems.

I DO understand that you're trying to refine a simple production process of fabrication, but don't lose sight of the larger picture. You may very well succeed, only to show up a day late, and a dollar short of the ultimate goal ! ;)
 

peterhaack

Junior Poster
Jan 26, 2005
7
0
1
Well im not doing this thing to make moe, i did this thing becuse some were doing it so complicated with drilling and stuffing pipes with cement to drill exact holes, wich seems to have taken some time =O)

I did just take a simpel plastic tube and heated it up in the middel and the pulled voila 2min of hard work puh...and i did some diffrent sizes =O))

I did an experiment now in the evening and since we are using pressurerised gas( we really dont need the sucking) when the gas bobble came out it was sort of vaporised out of the venturii so they seem to work =O)) BUT when there were no bobble it was just shoting ......water =O)
If it will work in long term i dont know, but for 2min of work and some cheap plastic tubing it was easy.
 

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
311
1
16
Just an observation...

and I completly agree. It takes me 20 Min. to machine the parts from scratch, but given my hourly rate it's cheaper for me to source the Mazzei Injectors, and modify the gas intake. This becomes more critical for folks using yeast reactors, and only increases the efficiency of tanked gas. It also becomes increasingly important for low pressure "Powerhead" systems. Not everyone wants the expense of tanked Co2 or expensive pumps, and not everyone wants a reactor in their system. Yet the cost of an improved venturi is just slightly higher than a ceramic diffuser, and they have lower maintenance. Savvy ? ;)

Face it. Once you've shelled out for tanked gas a $25.00 injector becomes rather trivial bye comparrison. So If others can benefit from the same system without the expense, Good For Them ! :D

For the Record I'm retired. I don't make one red cent off of this The process has cost me time and money. That's why I won't post pics to the web. Many fine contributors of this forum have done that in the past only to have someone pirate the very design they provided the community for free. Put it into production, and sell it retail. The punch line gets even better when folks purchase the product, and come right back here for advice, only to gripe about a membership fee ??? Just Imagine The Irony ;^))))) BWAHhahahahhahahhahha.
 

Sintei

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2006
92
0
6
Sorry to say, but Im not going to test it right now. I just finished my external DIY-reactor and it works like a charm. ALGEA BE GONE! Since I used a "ADA style" diffusor (actually mine is better that ADA ;)) in it, it doubles as a misting device too, pumping out all the smallest bubbles straight to the tank. Leaving the bigger ones to dissolve inside the reactor.

co2ende.jpg


co2reaktor.jpg
 

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
311
1
16
Too bad...

One of the advantages of the internet, and international forums is greater exposure to more markets, and technologies. The more the merrier ! We are in a position where many of the prevailing products have room for improvement. Sometimes you get lucky and arrive at a serendipitous blend that works out. Unfortunately that's the exception to the rule.

I'm looking for a simpler method of distribution that works for more people in general. The hobby shouldn't be limited to a privileged few, and Co2 is a key component to their continued success. Certain products are expensive, cumbersome, and maintenance prone. Human nature relegates those products to the weakest link in the chain. Grtz. Prof M ;)
 

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
216
1
16
Pennsylvania
Brain... Hurting...

I do so want to understand all of this... It seems fascinating. And a very interesting problem! Is there a Venturi 101 for Idiot Savants? ;-)
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
745
113
Yes, do a google search on venturi gas injection.

In English:

Nice pics:

Venturi Injection vs Bubble Diffusers - venturi injection with ozone - bubble diffusers ozone

Venturi effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

Mazzei Injector Corp. - How a Mazzei Injector Works

The good thing about them: no decrease in efficiency/no cleaning, this is not true for glass diffusers etc! They need cleaned and sit inside the tank(Except for the Cal labs model).

No moving parts, high flow and positive suction(no back pressure).
the other good thing, they reduce flow, but not very much compared to many other in line devices.

They are small.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

Dusko

Prolific Poster
Apr 20, 2006
68
0
6
46
Sweden
I am not sure really is there a need for inventing something that already exists, and can be bought here in Sweden for only 60 Swedish crowns. I use the Eheim Venturi diffuser and it works like a charm.

Here is the trick I use in my Juwel 180 liter tank;
e9ca80b1.jpg


e9ca80c0.jpg



Hi peterhaack, I live in Malmo too. I work at Zoo Giganten (fiskavdelning). You can always drop by for a friendly pint :D

Kind regards, Dusko.
 

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
149
0
16
42
Sebbersund, Denmark
Tell me.

is this venturi design made so you attach it to your filter as with reactors etc.?

or is mi supposed to be connected to a powerhead?
 

Dusko

Prolific Poster
Apr 20, 2006
68
0
6
46
Sweden
You should connect it to the powerheads out let, so water can jet into the Venturi.

Regards, Dusko.
 

Anti-Pjerrot

Prolific Poster
Apr 5, 2006
62
0
6
Sintei - i did the same thing with my glassdiffuser and my DIY reactor - works better than anything i evet tried (+10 diffent diffusers):

PICT0112.jpg


I recomment anyone having a simple reaktor to try this method. I never seen pealing like this before...
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
745
113
CAL Labs makes something like this out of glass, works very well for smaller systems like 160gph or less with no head flow loss.

Here's a link:

CAL AQUA LABS - CO2 Glassware

Note, this method is based on the CO2 mist theory and these products and several DIY designs all came from the original hypothesis I proposed.

But many still do not believe the affect is real.
Rather than belief, I used an O2 meter, it's real alright, the details still need work and test, but the basics: does it work and does it make things easier to grow?

Definitely.

You may also use the CO2 mist method to determine if a particular species of plant is CO2 limited or not in the tank.

Simply blast the CO2 mist directly on the plant from a distance where the mist gently bathes/covers the plant with CO2 mist.

That, plus non limiting nutrients, you can generally grow anything and then vary the light as the independent variable.

Greg Fisk also did a similar thing as Anti P about a year ago after wondering about adding a venturi.

This disc approach is great for smaller systems IME and removes all the glass disc out of the tank where it gets covered by algae and also is just more stuff in the tank.

I bet we will see ADA make something like this later.

Regards,
Tom Barr


Regards,
Tom Barr
 

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
149
0
16
42
Sebbersund, Denmark
Sintei;10967 said:
Sorry to say, but Im not going to test it right now. I just finished my external DIY-reactor and it works like a charm. ALGEA BE GONE! Since I used a "ADA style" diffusor (actually mine is better that ADA ;)) in it, it doubles as a misting device too, pumping out all the smallest bubbles straight to the tank. Leaving the bigger ones to dissolve inside the reactor.

Sintei, what's the point with the filter balls? The CO2 should be pushed down out of the reactor by the waterflow? or do the CO2 mist rise into the balls?
 

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
311
1
16
Tom Barr;17404 said:
CAL Labs makes something like this out of glass, works very well for smaller systems like 160gph or less with no head flow loss.

Here's a link:

CAL AQUA LABS - CO2 Glassware

Note, this method is based on the CO2 mist theory and these products and several DIY designs all came from the original hypothesis I proposed.

But many still do not believe the affect is real.
Rather than belief, I used an O2 meter, it's real alright, the details still need work and test, but the basics: does it work and does it make things easier to grow?

Definitely.

You may also use the CO2 mist method to determine if a particular species of plant is CO2 limited or not in the tank.

Simply blast the CO2 mist directly on the plant from a distance where the mist gently bathes/covers the plant with CO2 mist.

That, plus non limiting nutrients, you can generally grow anything and then vary the light as the independent variable.

Greg Fisk also did a similar thing as Anti P about a year ago after wondering about adding a venturi.

This disc approach is great for smaller systems IME and removes all the glass disc out of the tank where it gets covered by algae and also is just more stuff in the tank.

I bet we will see ADA make something like this later.

Regards,
Tom Barr


Regards,
Tom Barr

The CAL inline diffusers are sweet little units, but we can't have alot of glassware lying about in this house W/ the Creamsicle Puma. :( That Crazy [email protected]$tridge has got Racoon eyes when it comes to sparklies ! :eek: Bummer !
 

peterhaack

Junior Poster
Jan 26, 2005
7
0
1
Dusko;16339 said:
I am not sure really is there a need for inventing something that already exists, and can be bought here in Sweden for only 60 Swedish crowns. I use the Eheim Venturi diffuser and it works like a charm.

Here is the trick I use in my Juwel 180 liter tank;
e9ca80b1.jpg


e9ca80c0.jpg



Hi peterhaack, I live in Malmo too. I work at Zoo Giganten (fiskavdelning). You can always drop by for a friendly pint :D

Kind regards, Dusko.

The thing with the homemade venturi was more that someone took alot of money to make em and all i did vas takinga asimpel piping and som heat made one in like hardly 1min and then a small drill di attach the pipng for gasthe rest its up to the pump you connct it til..

The diffusier you are using Dusko i used when i started with Yeast CO2 4 years ago and they work like a charm...

I dont live in malmoe but in a small town called Skanes Fagerhult so its a bit of road to get to you..

Love your tanks Dusko

/P