This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Surface Scum

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by aibcarpentry, Aug 30, 2018.

1. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    7:57 PM
    Unsure if this is posted in the correct place so please move if need be.

I'm just wondering how other people combat this problem.

I run my aquariums using spraybars as I just don't know how people get circulation so even without them!
    That's not why I started this thread though.....................

I get a build up of surface scum unless I run a little surface skimmer which in turn messes with my water flow.
    Should I aim my spraybar up higher? But then I'm dispersing more CO2.
    At the minute I'm confined to the thinking that running the skimmers on timers is my way forward.

Does anyone else have have info on how they combat this problem?

Cheers
    Andrew

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Surface scum or biofilm is one of those enduring problems that effects everyones tank at some point or other. Surface agitation helps reduce it's formation, so aiming your spray bar more toward the surface will help. Other than that surface skimming is the way forward. You can buy lily pipe inflows with a surface skimmer, but you really need a filter that has a through flow of about 1000 l/h for them to work properly, without too much fiddling.

Yes you'll probably use more CO2 but like most things planted it's a trade off. I think you have to take the attitude that CO2 is free. Surface agitation increases gas exchange, but the pay off is increased O2 saturation which is good for the critters and perhaps means you can increase CO2 conc. to the benefit of the plants; the two are not mutually exclusive...

[​IMG]

3. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    Hi Tim,
    I am going to have a play around with number of holes and direction of spraybar.
    My filter does have a flow rate of 10000 LPH but I'm not really a fan of those intakes and find them a bit big, bulky and clumsy.
    If the spraybar doesn't work then I will have a play with the skimmers and a timer.

Tim Harrison likes this.