Surface Scum/Slime

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005
96
0
6
I just finished up the last of my Flourish last week and switched to CSM+B. I dosed on Monday night and by Tuesday night I had developed a thick transparent slime on the water's surface. I skimmed it all off, but by the next night it had returned. With the CO2 and O bubbles mixed in it, it looks like saliva.

I have read that this is a buildup of protiens and bacteria, but I NEVER had this before the switch to CSM+B. Is there a possible relationship here or merely coincidence?
 

matpat

Prolific Poster
Mar 29, 2005
74
0
6
54
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

I'd guess coincidence. I've been using CSM+B for about two years now and haven't had the problem.

Now watch, I'll have the saliva scum on my tanks tomorrow :D
 

magicmagni

Prolific Poster
May 15, 2005
55
0
6
SF Bay Area
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

imatrout said:
I just finished up the last of my Flourish last week and switched to CSM+B. I dosed on Monday night and by Tuesday night I had developed a thick transparent slime on the water's surface. I skimmed it all off, but by the next night it had returned. With the CO2 and O bubbles mixed in it, it looks like saliva.

I have read that this is a buildup of protiens and bacteria, but I NEVER had this before the switch to CSM+B. Is there a possible relationship here or merely coincidence?

I've never used CSM+B but I have had experience with the problem you describe. I'm betting that you have little or no surface agitation, in which case I would recommend that you somehow get some surface water movement going on. If you have a spray bar simply point it upwards a bit to get gentle flow that will break the stuff up.
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
740
113
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

Greg likes the CS, so do others, I'm old school, about using TMG and Flourish.

Something might have triggered the change, it might not be entirely direct, but it might have started when changing a routine such as using a different product. But it's unlikely it's the products fault, see the poster's comment here, they do not, as do not many other folks using CMS..........

Add surface movement, do a water change etc. Paper towel, newspaper dabbing etc will help remove it, also blackout(just turn off the loghts, no covering needed etc) for a day or two will hurt it.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
108
0
16
San Diego, Ca
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

I seem to get the same effect on occasion. Yes, I use Greg's CSM+B. But it seems to coincide with two things.

1. Summer.

2. Floating plants creating stagnant areas.

I think #2 is the bigger problem of the two. When I get the floating plants back under control it dissipates pretty well after a little attention with paper towels.
 
R

Russ

Guest
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

Hagen makes a inexpensive surface skimmer (under $10 online) - one model for their canister filters and one for their power filters. I use one with my Filstar canister and it works well.

-Russ
 

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005
96
0
6
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

I did my weekly WC and reset yesterday. If it is still clear by Wednesday. I will add some CSM+B and see if I get the scum. Last time, unless it was pure coincidence, the scum formed within 24 hrs. of the CSM+B addition. We'll see and I'll post my observations.
 

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
108
0
16
San Diego, Ca
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

imatrout said:
I did my weekly WC and reset yesterday. If it is still clear by Wednesday. I will add some CSM+B and see if I get the scum. Last time, unless it was pure coincidence, the scum formed within 24 hrs. of the CSM+B addition. We'll see and I'll post my observations.

If you do this, will you add traces from another source or just go traceless for the test?
 

Jay

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2005
19
0
1
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

I read somewhere that mollies would help with surface scum etc. Sooo…I purchased three basic issue black mollies for my 75 gal community tank. The surface scum vanished and has never returned. I have absolutely no clue why.
 

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005
96
0
6
Re: Surface Scum/Slime

turbomkt said:
If you do this, will you add traces from another source or just go traceless for the test?

Yes, I bought a small bottle of Flourish and added them on Sunday night. As of Tuesday morning the water is still clear. I don't know if it is/was the CSM+B alone, or that in a combination with my other water params or just plain coincidence, but I an not yet getting the surface scum back. I have an unusual water chemistry. My KH is 15 and GH is 18. Water out of the tap is Ph 8.1. I add CO2 and limit the Ph reduction to 7.1. Maybe something in the CSM+B is reacting to my very hard water and creating a good enviroment for the bacteria? Also to be fair, I did change to flow of surface disruption at the WC so thsi may be what's caused the scum to dissappear.