This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Surface oils or proteins?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by freshgoby, Feb 3, 2007.

1. freshgoby

freshgoby Junior Poster

Does anyone else get what looks like a light oil-slick on the surface of their water? I usually wash my hands/arms with dish soap before I stick them in the tank – especially if pruning or water changing. This stuff seems to appear on its own after a period of time (i.e. after a couple weeks).

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I don't get that problem, but I also have an overflow that effectively skims any surface slick off the water, and I use a continuous dripping water change.

3. freshgoby

freshgoby Junior Poster

You know I just had a thought. It might be from the stuff I feed my fish. I feed spectrum pellet food in conjunction with a flake food and the spectrum is 45% protein. That's probably what does it.

4. nursie

nursie Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I get it off of driftwood I have in some of my tanks. I have a huge piece in my 75 that continues to give it off. When it was new, I would periodically take paper towels and lightly lay on the water surface and it would soak it up..witih water too, lol. Took several paper towels with the 75 gallon tank, and had to be repeated. I've had the driftwood a year and is not near as bad now.

5. freshgoby

freshgoby Junior Poster

I tried the paper towel thing once and hated it. Now I syphon it out with the water change.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

If you drive the O2 rates up through plant growth and good CO2, the surface films will go away.

I have identical tanks in terms of dosing, substrate plant biomass etc, when I varied the CO2 and reduced it, I got the surface film. I've repeated this on several tanks over of the years.

Better plant growth= less film.
    These are for non surface skimmed tanks and with flourite, ADA AS, and Onyx sand.

With and without driftwood.

Regards,
    Tom Barr