This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface agitation, oxygen, and algae

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Henry Hatch, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Henry Hatch

Henry Hatch Guru Class Expert

I was wondering how much of a relationship there is between o2 levels and algae ? I was reading a thread discussing the amount of rippling people use in their co2 tanks. I was surprised at the amount of surface agitation many people had in their tanks.

The amount of rippling got me thinking about the kind of surface agitation caused by a spray bar producing ripples vs a hang on the tank power filter. How different are they ?

I have very little rippling in my 30 gallon diy co2 tank. I think my oxygen levels may be low. Since I reduced the surface agitation in my tank I seem to have more algae problems. Plant growth has also been stunted. I understand the problems with diy co2, but I have successfuly run this same tank with diy co2 in the past with higher levels of surface agitation using a power filter vs the HOT Magnum I have now.