This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Surface Agitation And Proper Ph Concentrations

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Maroman, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Maroman

Maroman Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    I recently upgraded my CO2 to a dual output system in order to get better dissolution in the tank (Rex Griggs reactor and in tank ceramic diffuser), I can get the pH to drop the 1 degree by the time the lights come on. However, in order to combat the surface scum that prevents the exchange of oxygen/co2 I run a powerhead that pushes water across the surface, the inhabitants seem to be much happier, swimming more vigorously. My problem is if I turn the powerhead on to provide surface agitation my pH goes up almost to the point it was the night before. How important is this surface agitation? I have set it to do 30 minute increments to see the effect on the pH/CO2 concentration. I had not realized that the surface agitation would off gas the tank nearly as much as it has. would maybe 10 minutes in 2 hours be sufficient water movement across the top of the tank?

20180322_124024.jpg

2. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Personally I never found my powerhead eliminates surface scum completely, it just pushes it aside. Unless the blades are mixing up the scum (messy/loud) it always seemed to be there when it turns off. You might want to try a dedicated form of skimming, maybe an eheim skim 350, or something along those lines. I position mine to the opposite of my powerhead to direct the water towards it. I have seen them used in larger tanks. I can’t tell from your picture, but I’m guessing you have no overflow/sump? That usually provides skimming for larger tanks.

3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:22 AM
    Just get a Eheim skim 350 and you will resolve all problems , scum will go away , co2 will stay in :)

4. Maroman

Maroman Junior Poster

Local Time:
    even though those would be great solutions, I don't want to put anything else inside of the tank as there is already enough in there taking away from the natural look of the tank. Additionally, I would love to add an overflow, but it would consist of cutting the hood to fit it in and I don't want to do that at this point.

I have come to realize that the JBJ bubble counter has failed and is not allowing co2 through hence no additional CO2 coming out of the ceramic disk. Contemplating changing over to the hose adapter and using an inline bubble counter.

5. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Don’t even bother with the bubble counter on the in tank diffuser line, realistically you can judge co2 from your pH drop, and you could probably tell roughly just by looking what’s combing out of the diffuser. I don’t bother with bubble counters anymore. If you can measure pH it’s more accurate in showing what’s going on.