This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

supplemented sustainable eco-aquarium

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by user name, Mar 28, 2014.

1. user name

user name Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:41 PM
    Hello, first I would like to thank Mr. Barr and any other sponsors of this forum. It is unique, as most of the material is original in nature and excludes much of the redundancy that plagues internet forum discussion.

Secondly, I would like to introduce my aquarium.

75g semi- sustainable tropical ecosystem.

Goals:

Miniamal maintenance
    Highest possible biodiversity
    No water changes
    No feeding fish
    No replacing bulbs
    No dosing
    No co2
    Balanced flora and fauna

Hardware:

75G standard aquarium
    Sunsun 525 gph canister w/uv sterilizer stripped to floss only, spraybar set to aerate surface vigorously.
    2 beamswork 72x1w 10000k led 12/12 cycle
    1 marineland 2x18w gro light (to be replaced with comparable led)
    200w ehiem heater 78°f

Tank contents:

Deep dirted substrate, 1" limestone gravel, 2-4" miracle gro organic topsoil containing peat and wood fibre, approx 3 gal. Unsterilized natural topsoil containing clay from st louis mo backyard. Capped with 2" red pea gravel and 32lb black flourite sand.

Split fon-du-lac limestone rock scape

Flora and fauna description, as well as photos coming soon.

Tank has been established for one month and doing well.

Thank you!

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Dosing/and/or feeding fish will be required. You will have to bend on that one, period.

Switch to dolomite instead of the limestone for the sediment, plain old clay loam from a clean stream would do best and keep it simple, Rice paddy, delta soil also will be best/better.

Lots of shrimp, SAE's, plecos like Bushy nose of Sturisoma sp etc.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Dosing/and/or feeding fish will be required. You will have to bend on that one, period.

Switch to dolomite instead of the limestone for the sediment, plain old clay loam from a clean stream would do best and keep it simple, Rice paddy, delta soil also will be best/better.

Lots of shrimp, SAE's, plecos like Bushy nose of Sturisoma sp etc.

4. user name

user name Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hear me out, I may supplement with mild dosing, but there will definitely not be any need for feeding.

The crushed limestone gravel is already in the tank. Dolomite would be preferred, as it would release minerals more slowly. However the alkalinity of the limestone is countered with the acidity of the peat and wood fibre decomposing. Combined with the aeration af the water, th ph is stable at 7.3. Tap water in st. Louis is usually 7.8-8.2.

Flora:

hygrophila corymbosa var angustifolia

Hygrophila polysperma

Java fern

Java moss

Anubias barteri

Narrow chain sword

Ludwigia repens

Fauna:

Black worms

Asian clams

Daphnia

Pond snails

Trumpet snails

Ghost shrimp

Feeder guppies

Otos

Later to add 2f and 1m dwarf puffers

So... here's the idea.

Establish prolific colonies of micro life, allow algae to grow in limited quantities, and wait to introduce predators until long after breeding populations of all life in the aquarium have stabilized. Might 86 the ghost shrimp if they do not spawn. At any rate there will be shrimp of some vareity.

The uv sterilizer is off.
    There are no clams, blackworms, or daphnia. They are coming soon. The light setup now has only one led fixture, but another is coming soon. More of a vareity of plants will be added later when the tank has matured.
    I consider a tank of this nature to have a minimum maturation time of 4-6mos.
    I am also entertaining the idea of inducing an algae bloom occasionally for filter feeders, then switching on the uv sterilizer if it gets to be too much.
    I'm using a samsung galaxy note and this format does not seem to allow me to upload pictures for now.

Anyway what do you think?

5. user name

user name Junior Poster

Local Time:

Attached Files: