sump project

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Still trying to get my DIY sump done ... got a big hunkin' piece of 6" PVC today ... 2 feet long. That will hold my filter socks, plus other stuff. My sump will probably be a 29G tank, maybe a 25G.

This sump is for a 50G high-tech CO2 tank. My questions:

1) This tank is not drilled, so I need to buy a hang-on overflow box. I've seen a lot of mentions of CPR brand ($100), but found Eshopps ($46 on sale, cheapest) and a Marineland Tidepool SOS ($65) also. If these brands are all fairly decent, I would probably buy the Eshopps (my money is not unlimited at this time :) ). The CPR brand also has an optional little pump that is supposed to remove built-up air. Have you all found this to be necessary? The CPR brand is also adjustable, not sure if the other brands have this feature. Any recommendations on brand of overflow?

2) My filter socks will leave about 8" at the bottom of my PVC pipe to play with. I'm thinking 2" of sponge, 3" of ceramic biological thingies and 3" of bioballs. Sound reasonable?

3) How big of a return pump for a 50G tank? My overflow will be anywhere from 600 to 800 gph to be on the safe side. I'm thinking to get a 450 - 500 gph return pump.

I still have a ways to go on this (and I'm going out of town AGAIN this weekend), but I will post pictures when I am done.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey Ted,

1. I had heard that the CPR were the best. If you are going to go high-tech, why not spend the extra $ now? Equipment is something you need to last...............I know it is a big difference, but if you want to do something right.......just a thought. I have never really regretted getting the best model THAT I COULD AFFORD, regardless of the product.

2. I'd have a sponge in the overflow if possible, but put the sponge first. I thought the ceramic thingies (a new tech term lol) were an ENHANCEMENT to the bio-balls. I would use one or the other type, maybe not both.

3. I would get at least a 500 gph pump and stick both a ball valve to throttle it and a CHECK valve to keep the sump from overflowing due to backfill.

My overflow will be anywhere from 600 to 800 gph to be on the safe side

What did you mean by this?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Gerry,

1. Yes, you are right. Guess I should go with the CPR. Is the little pump necessary on the top, do you think?

2. Yep, definitely the sponge first. You know, I've always wondered if bioballs really work (that's why I was going to cover my bases by using ceramic also). My ceramic things in my filter accumulate mulm, the bioballs are clean as a whistle. How the heck does bacteria live on plastic? :)

3) 500 gph return pump: check. Ball valve: check. Check valve: Maybe. Tom once mentioned the possibility of drilling a small hole just below the water level in the return line. I may try that instead. Actually, I'll drill 2 holes in case a snail takes up residence over one of them.

What do you mean: "What do you mean by this?" :) The overflow boxes have a max gph rating -- that is what I was talking about. The one I get will be 600 - 800 gph so my 500 gph return pump cannot overload it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have a CPR 50, 100 and 102 for sale with the Tom's pump+ filter, better than anyone's price, hint hint.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Ted,

What do you mean: "What do you mean by this?" The overflow boxes have a max gph rating -- that is what I was talking about. The one I get will be 600 - 800 gph so my 500 gph return pump cannot overload it.

Ahhhh, I see. I did not get that the overflow boxes were rated. Thanks for the clarification.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
tedr108;26911 said:
1) This tank is not drilled, so I need to buy a hang-on overflow box. I've seen a lot of mentions of CPR brand ($100), but found Eshopps ($46 on sale, cheapest) and a Marineland Tidepool SOS ($65) also. If these brands are all fairly decent, I would probably buy the Eshopps (my money is not unlimited at this time :) ). The CPR brand also has an optional little pump that is supposed to remove built-up air. Have you all found this to be necessary? The CPR brand is also adjustable, not sure if the other brands have this feature. Any recommendations on brand of overflow?.

Agreed the CPR's are nice and the vacuum pump is needed with CO2. I was able to get away without on Excel tanks.

tedr108;26911 said:
2) My filter socks will leave about 8" at the bottom of my PVC pipe to play with. I'm thinking 2" of sponge, 3" of ceramic biological thingies and 3" of bioballs. Sound reasonable?.

This will work, my foam is after the sock filter.

tedr108;26911 said:
3) How big of a return pump for a 50G tank? My overflow will be anywhere from 600 to 800 gph to be on the safe side. I'm thinking to get a 450 - 500 gph return pump..

I run 350 GPH on a 30 gallon tank slightly meter with a ball valve, Just make sure your overflow will handle the GPH of the pump.

tedr108;26911 said:
I still have a ways to go on this (and I'm going out of town AGAIN this weekend), but I will post pictures when I am done..

Have fun!