This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Sump Filter Media

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:47 PM
    I'll refresh-I'm setting up (hopefully in my lifetime!) a fw discus 180, that has a 55 gallon sump, which is basically divided into 3rds-fill, media, and pump compartments. My question is-what would be a good bio media to use in the middle chamber, and approximately how much media should there be in it? Thx in advance.:D

2. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Do a search for "sump" on the Barr Report. You should find two diagrams by Tom. Only thing used is a filter sock and foam block. What ever you choose, make sure it is easy to clean.

Good luck, Chris

3. jazzlvr123

jazzlvr123 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I know some people use lava rocks as a cheap DIY filter medium alternative. Because of lava rocks porous structure they provide plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria to start colonizing taking care of your tanks bio-filtration.

4. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You might also consider polyester fiber. About $2.00 will buy at least a year's supply.

Bill

5. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I agree with Bill on the floss over Lava rock.
    Remember to use something that is easy to clean. The main reasons for a sump are for bio-filtration, equipment, evaporation and skimming.
    I also use a micron bag to catch the fine stuff on the inlet.

Good Luck, Chris