This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sump - Biological

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, May 24, 2009.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Is it recommended to leave the portion of the sump containing bio balls uncovered, to better establish a bacterial colony, by contact with air (O2)?

Walter :D :D :D

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

My experience with wet-dry is zero, but that being said I've never needed to expose my bacteria culture to increased levels of oxygen beyond that available to a canister. I don't get dangerous mini-cycles even when I seed from another filter. Cultures of the same bacteria in oceans and lakes have been fine without wet/dry as well. Nitrifying bacteria is tough stuff; pretty essential to all life on earth. Some extra O2 might help, but it's certainly not vital.

-Philosophos

3. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

For the Wet/Dry part you should have the bioballs, or whatever, out of the water for best effectiveness. Unless you have a high fish load, leaving them submerged will cause no harm. The point of the Wet/Dry filter was to have high stocking levels of critters before people figured out that whole live rock thing in reefs. Wet/Dry was adapted from the water treatment industry where speed/economy of space/cost/time was required.

-
    S