SUMO vs Rex Grigg Regulators

stacir

Junior Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Does anyone have an opinion on these two regulators? This will be my first pressurized unit, and they both look very similar in design. I've read very good things about Reg Grigg's units. Just wondering if anyone out there has used the SUMOs and how they feel about the performance.

M

mrkookm

Does anyone have an opinion on these two regulators? This will be my first pressurized unit, and they both look very similar in design. I've read very good things about Reg Grigg's units. Just wondering if anyone out there has used the SUMOs and how they feel about the performance.

Both use good components but the Sumo 'technically' has the better regulator body. I currently use 2 regulators based of a Cornelius body 'Rex type' with Ideal valves and they work great with no issues; one of them has been in service for 3 years.

IMO it boils down who has the best package for the money.

stacir

Junior Poster
Apr 12, 2008
It's really close. RG at $213 shipped and SUMO at $205 shipped. Good Grief, how to decide?!

M

mrkookm

Are they both configured exactly the same just different reg body? If yes, then I would choose the Sumo.

charlie

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2006
sumo regulators

I have both with the Sumo being the most recent, i agree the sumo is a better regulator body, mine is fitted with a Swagelok Needle valve & a bubble counter on the needle valve, very impressed wuth the unit & customer service.

I also had the Rex unit refitted with the Swagelok & Bubble counter from Sumo, Sumo prices are better, they also can supply the Cornelious style regulator( but for the price diff it`s a no brainer) , they both use the same solenoid( Clippard)

In short good product, good price, great customer service.
Regards

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Sumo's reg is about as good as you are going to get for CO2, which is not a bad idea on where to spend the $$ for the hobby.
I've bought items from both Rex and sumo.
You are not going to go wrong here and they both are very supportive of the hobby.

I've suggest not going cheap, get the nice stuff, it will last you a lifetime and be very stable and easy to use.

Regards,
Tom Barr

captain_bu

Prolific Poster
Nov 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
I also opted for the Sumo when I set up my pressurized rig about a month ago. I felt this was an important component that I didn't want to skimp on and wanted to buy once and not have to think about it again. The Micro Matic regulator body they use is really massive and solid and having the bubble counter attached to the Ideal valve makes for a clean, compact set up. Very nice people to deal with and turnaround time/shipping was quick. That said I have never read anything bad about Rex's regulators so they are also a good choice if you want a regulator with a Cornelius body though the Sumo with the same body is more cost effective.

stacir

Junior Poster
Apr 12, 2008
thanks for the replies everyone. I am going with the SUMO. I hope this brings my plants back to life. I have been battling small amounts of algae and plant die off. I have 55 gal planted/fish tank and can't seem to get my stem plants off to a good start. My crypts are hanging in there and my corkscrew vals are also doing OK. But I added some new plants last week (using a DIY co2, EI dosing and 130 watts about 4 inches above the tank) and they aren't looking good. I am crossing my fingers that the DIY will work! I am about ready to give up!

I can't seem to get my stems anchored in my gravel very well. Damn cories keep digging them up. I currently have a fluorite with small gravel on top substrate and I hope it's the plants not rooting well and not the substrate, causing the the problems, as I don't want to have to change that out.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
stacir;24883 said:
I can't seem to get my stems anchored in my gravel very well. Damn cories keep digging them up. I currently have a fluorite with small gravel on top substrate and I hope it's the plants not rooting well and not the substrate, causing the the problems, as I don't want to have to change that out.

Try stripping your stems 2" up of leaves and push the stem in with a pair tongs until remaining leaves are just above the substrate. This even works well in Eco-Complete (light weight). This almost alway stays in until the root develop.

wkndracer

Junior Poster
Sep 27, 2008
Citrus County, Florida
Starting from scratch

stacir;24842 said:

Chose the SUMO after much head scratching and web research. I purchased a 'Premier' model regulator from SUMO and built Rex style reactors. The regulator question was answered by supplier response to inquiry. I wanted to supply two tanks from one regulator and still use controllers to automate and control the injection level. Initial response's from most vendors was it couldn't be done. (Mike and Sergio at SUMO included) Rex responded to ALL of my questions and did his best to help me understand options as to cost and configuration choices.
Sergio in follow up contact offered to build and test the proposed rig and see what would happened to bubble counts as the solenoids cycled. Sergio built, tested and communicated results to me over time. Based on their efforts and time invested in answering / validating that the configuration would do exactly what we wanted I felt it was the right thing to do to buy from SUMO.

Do I believe a Rex Built regulator would preform and be a good product? ABSOLUTELY!

Do I believe SUMO or Rex built equipment is better than the off the shelf consumer market? ABSOLUTELY!

SUMO simply put placed me in a 'comfort' zone on the purchase.

SUMODual.JPG