This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on where to find dry ferts?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Liakern, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Liakern

Liakern Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:13 AM
    I was told its far cheaper and actually easier to use dry fertilizers rather than liquid rip offs... Any one have any idea how to get these chemicals?(pottasium nitrate, pottasium phosphate)

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  3. TheKillHaa

TheKillHaa Prolific Poster

Local Time:

bytheway, they are nice people who respond your questions promptly and have fast shipping, only good experiences i've had with them.

T.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Baseless lies, they are mean, just like me:p

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Liakern

Liakern Junior Poster

Local Time:
    How long it ussually take for delivery?
    I just ordered the potash nitrate and phosphate sunday.
    Thank you for the help finding this.

I'm tryn to get my tank balanced and this is my first attempt to do a full blow planted setup...

6. Liakern

Liakern Junior Poster

Local Time:
    WOW that was VERY fast shipping. Any way i got "mono pottasium phosphate and pottasium nitrate" I havent got a clue as to how much to add. Or a good method of adding it...

Should i make a solution and then add to the tank or can I just take a measuring spoon and dump "x" amount in dry?

My measuring tools are limited to a 500ml wet measuring cup and some dry measure cups/spoons.

I read up on some of the articles and its safe to overdose a bit but I dont even have a clue as to what is overdosing.

7. TheKillHaa

Local Time:
  8. Liakern

Liakern Junior Poster

Local Time:
    29gal tank
    28inches of fish.Harliquin rasboras neon tetras otos betta
    Flourite substrate
    18watt 6700k tube
    18watt 5500k tube
    27watt 6500k FML tube focused on micro sword
    (lights on a timer for 8hours)
    Rena 240gph canister filter
    Diy co2 (REGULATED@25-30ppm according to diy drop-checker)
    Flourish trace elements

9. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That seems like a lot of light so the DIY CO2 might not be enough...

I'm running a BC29 at home so the values should be close, from memory...

Dose this Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday....

KNO3 ~1/4 tsp
    K2P04 ~1/16th tsp

Dose your micros on Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Do nothing on Saturday.

Sunday, do your water change, trim, whatnot. When refilling tank, add GH booster if you want.

None of it's set in stone, tweak as needed. Dose twice a week if you want to, etc. Experiment. I've been following the schedule above until I make sure I'm consistent and everything recovers from my scorched earth method of dealing with snails in the old tank.

-
    S

10. TheKillHaa

Local Time:
    if you are getting into use powder fert, (as you tend) i really suggest to buy a jewerly or so scale, they are come cheap ones on ebay, ables to read 0.1 of grams. is not that is really important to dose exactly... but 1/16th of tsp im not able to measure easily.

my life as been simplified since i have those scales ($15 avg) but well, i dose more than one tank per time..

saludos!!

11. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just buy a set of miniature measuring spoons from a store that sells odds and ends of cooking equipment. They let you easily measure 1/16th of a teaspoon, with all of the accuracy we need. Weighing can be done but doesn't improve the accuracy.

An alternative, which I use, is to premix the KNO3 and KH2PO4 in a bottle of water. In my case I use a 16 ounce bottle, and dose 1 ounce per day. So, the bottle contains 16 doses. I multiply 16 times the amount of each chemical I want to dose at a time, add that to the bottle, and add water to fill the bottle. Then I can easily dose 1 ounce per dose, with no other measuring needed. I write the amounts needed for the mix on the side of the bottle, so I don't need to remember that either. And, those amounts are all 1/2 teaspoon or more, so are easy to measure. 16oz fertilizer bottle: Containers - 0008-EB16 - Oregon Aqua Design - Your D.I.Y. planted tank store! is the bottle I use, but they are sold by several on-line stores now.

12. Liakern

Liakern Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I was hesitant about making a solution cause wasnt sure if the chemicals would react over time. But then I figured it wouldnt work to well in a fish tank either, so I made up a solution aswell.
    .5liter bottle at 8x daily dose but im only gonna dose half thats reccomended cause my tank is not heavily planted.

Now lets get this party started!