This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions On Plants Non Co2

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Bertdog, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Bertdog

Bertdog New Member

Local Time:
    10:01 AM
    Hello could I get your suggestions on what plants to use, 1st time at a attempting to plant. it's a fluval edge 12 gal no top to the tank so it's fully open and not using C02 . I have a co2 system but not looking to use it from the start. I'm also considering to do a Dry start . Also your suggestions on what to put on the branches of the bonsai I've read different options like moss or plants. there's plenty of clearance on the back wall and the sides from the rock.

thank you for any input IMG_7109.jpg InkedIMG_7109_LI.jpg

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:01 PM
  3. Bertdog

Bertdog New Member

Local Time:
    Tim Harrison likes this.
  4. Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen New Member

Local Time:
    7:01 AM
    Anubias Nana is a great plant for low light/low Co2 and Buces :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Water Sprite grows too large and does it fast. Skip that one. Ludwigia? Order Ludwigia Super Red. Its the only one that will be red in non Co2 aquariums..unless you want the green Ludwigia. Vallisneria is good..you might try Crypts there. C.balansae is one or the corkscrew type.
    I can tell for sure,Java moss is by far the best moss to grow with no Co2. Christmas is good..and maybe that it is so much slower growing might be best for you. If it fails? Try Java next time and trim it to shape.
    I still haven tried Monte Carlo..but I understand that in non Co2 tanks you MUST dose iron or it will never be green let alone grow.
    Mini Reineckii is another plant that has color and does not need Co2 to do it.

6. Bertdog

Bertdog New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Stan510 very helpful and knowledgeable , this is what I ended buying. Some changes as some companies didn’t have my original choices.
    Anubias nana petite potted
    Dwarf sagittaria subulata
    Italian vallisneria spiralis
    Ludwigia dark red
    Monte Carlo 4 oz cup
    Scarlet temple alternanthera reineckii
    Water sprite lace leaf fern plants

they only had moss balls so I skipped out in moss for now , I guess I can drain it and added when I get some.

seemed like a lot of places are out of many plants , I’m guessing the epidemic has affected them as well.

also pick up seachem Flourish supplements
    Excell plant
    Iron plant
    Plant supplement fertilizer

thanks for taking the time for your input.

I have well water that’s high in minerals hard water (New place 1st time ever on well)I read somewhere that I should do 50 / 50 well water/rodi I run a RO/DI output now is 0 any input on this ?

7. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    No experience with hard water here on San Francisco water out of Yosemite. I was told that it's a one on the hardness scale. Soft.
    How about using the petite Nana on the Bonsai tree?..tiny leaves should look fine.
    I also was told that Monte Carlo must have iron in non Co2 tanks..so its good you have that. Seachems is the best.
    If the Ludwigia dark red loses color..try the Ludwigia mini Super Red. It won't lose color if you have enough light...the others? Will revert to green or even brownish-red under high light.but no Co2 in my experience. Super Red IS RED..lol. Love that plant even if it isn't as tall as the rest. Can't have everything.
    Good luck.
    Also..for a tank that size? You might go to Amazon and get those Co2 set ups for $50. Sounds reasonable. The only drawback is the cylinders are very small.I'm not sure how often they would be needed to be refilled.

8. Bertdog

Bertdog New Member

Local Time:
    Wow Yosemite that's impressive , for sure using the nana is going on the bonsai tree just not sure if i'll glue it or string it. I do have co2 system from my salt water tanks but trying not to start with them, funny I hate refilling them nor do I know a place by me now to fill them. I was suppose to receive my plants today but they didn't processed it , now it'll be tomorrow or friday hope this place delivers good plants they're in NY so whos knows . Initially was going to order from Buce plants Out of CALI but they sold out on a couple plants. Oh well thank you for your input i do appreciate . Now that I'm not doing Dry Start I'm eager to start. Take care and be safe.
    co2.JPG

Tags: