This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Suggested test kit brands?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by discocarp, Jun 22, 2005.

1. discocarp

discocarp Junior Poster

What test kit brands have you guys had luck with? I need to pick up a new KH kit (I used salifert before). I'd also like to pick up at least a nitrate and phosphate kit.

2. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Guru Class Expert

Re: Suggested test kit brands?

I've had excellent results with the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals NO3 and PO4 test kits. I know there are 'some people' that poo-poo those kits because they are so cheap and easy. To get confident with their results, you can use The Fertilator over at APC, or Chuck Gadd's calculator to test and calibrate the kit itself. I've never had to make any calibration adjustments, even with older kits. The NO3 kit is usually at Petsmart or your LFS, the PO4 kit usually has to be ordered online from stores like That Fish Place. $7 each.

TW

EDIT: Both kits use printed color charts that become impossible to read at the higher values. In the range we are interested in however, they are accurate and easy to read. Almost like the manufacturer knew what they were doing...

3. travdawg

travdawg Guru Class Expert

I use the Aqua Pharm as well, its cheap, & gets the job done. I have yet to find a phosphate test kit though. :/

4. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

I also use API test kits. Plenty of tests for your money, results are consistant. They do a phosphate kit trav, it's the one I use, does 150 tests.

Ian