suggested ppm's

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark
Hi.

I've been trying to find specific numbers on suggested ppm's in planted tanks, but I can't seem to find anything....specific.

So far I've got:

NO3 : 1-5ppm
PO4 : 0,5-2ppm
K : 10-20ppm
Mg : 5-10ppm

Do we have other suggested targets?

What about using different sources for NO3 for instance?
NH4NO3
HNO3 etc.

Is there a more extensive list?

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Nitrates should probably be more in the 10 - 20ppm range. 1 - 5 will get exhausted too quickly in a planted tank. I use KNO3 for nitrate.

NH4 shouldn't be added to a planted tank. It will induce algae. This site has a useful calculator...

Calculating dosages of fertilizer elements for a planted tank

Iron and calcium are two other important components. My site has a downloadable .xls calculator for fertilizers also, link here.

Fertilization

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
HNO3 is no good.
Nasty acid that will destroy KH.

NH4NO3 is bad due to high NH4, ammonia.

Ca(NO3)2 is not bad.

Soft water folks use this + K2SO4, MgSO4 and CaSO4

Do not mess with Fe and trying to maintain some pre set level.
There is no way to relate it to the needed levels for plants.
This was discussed at length several years ago between myself and a hydrogeologist.

He dealt with inorganic sides of the issue, I, the biological plant side.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I typically shoot for a target of 20ppm NO3, if I go +/- 10ppm, I'm fine no matter what.

You can semi limit growth using less than 20ppm, not enough to cause issues with growth development, but enough to slow the growth down a little.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark
Ok, 20 just seems high to me.
ack, All this calculating ppm's is driving me crazy.
how many percent No3 in KNO3, divided by this, times that, equals something else.. lol.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
10-20 is fine.
20 is just the max amount that is non limiting.

This is not high as far fish health, you really do not see any issues with fish till you hit 100+ppm's and even then, with warmer water species, not until 200.

NO3 is not really toxic.
Folks have little idea how much toxic "is".
And that's the problem.

So they associate over conservative fearful risk that are not real.

Like most things folks do not know much about, they assume it's bad and are fearful of it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark
thanks for the replies.

now several places, in books, etc. I've seen a NO3:pO4 ratio of 5:1

now 20ppm NO3 vs. 1ppm PO4 is nooooot quite 5:1

What gives?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The ratio of nitrate to phosphate isn't important. If you are going to use the "Redfield ratio", do it with nitrogen and phosphorous, but nothing I have seen shows any benefit to holding to that ratio anyway. I am pretty laid back about dosing phosphates too. If I have GSA annoying me I double the phosphate dosing to see if that helps. Sometimes it does.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Tom Barr;24284 said:
NO3 is not really toxic.
Folks have little idea how much toxic "is".
And that's the problem.

So they associate over conservative fearful risk that are not real.

Like most things folks do not know much about, they assume it's bad and are fearful of it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Hi,

My NO3 levels on the WC day is about 40ppm according to my API kit. I think I am Ok with that but, it just worries me a little. Oh, forgot to mention...........I dose 1/4 tsp in my 55g and 1/8 in my 30g, 3times/wk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
barbarossa4122;48458 said:
Hi,

My NO3 levels on the WC day is about 40ppm according to my API kit. I think I am Ok with that but, it just worries me a little. Oh, forgot to mention...........I dose 1/4 tsp in my 55g and 1/8 in my 30g, 3times/wk.

Is this test kit been referenced against a KNOWN stanard, say 5, 20, and 50ppm NO3 solutions?

If not, do not even bother reading into the results.

What would you expect to see if the NO3 was higher?
Just curious, many seem troubled, but I've not seen any risk or issues for any species I can think of.
No one to date has shown they killed or otherwised harm their fish by KNO3 dosing alone.

So I have to wonder.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Tom Barr;48467 said:
Is this test kit been referenced against a KNOWN stanard, say 5, 20, and 50ppm NO3 solutions?

If not, do not even bother reading into the results.

What would you expect to see if the NO3 was higher?
Just curious, many seem troubled, but I've not seen any risk or issues for any species I can think of.
No one to date has shown they killed or otherwised harm their fish by KNO3 dosing alone.

So I have to wonder.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Hi Tom,

Nope, the test kit was not referenced. I guess I will not bother with it anymore. I was worried that my goldies will be affected by high nitrates but, now thanks to you and this forum, I understand that "high" nitrates are not a problem.:)

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
Martin;24266 said:
What about using different sources for NO3 for instance?
NH4NO3

As Tom says this is BAD as far as ammonia in your tank. Also i would not really try buying this unless you are a farmer, may flag up as bad. :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
barbarossa4122;48470 said:
Hi Tom,

Nope, the test kit was not referenced. I guess I will not bother with it anymore. I was worried that my goldies will be affected by high nitrates but, now thanks to you and this forum, I understand that "high" nitrates are not a problem.:)

I'm not suggesting not to test, I'm suggesting if you bother, then do it right with high confidence.
Then you can be pretty sure.
Better to know .......than not.
Then you can also say something about your test method and kit.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Gbark;48619 said:
As Tom says this is BAD as far as ammonia in your tank. Also i would not really try buying this unless you are a farmer, may flag up as bad. :D

Yes and no,

At lower levels and with few fish, tougher species etc, dosing up to say .5ppm per day is okay I'd say.
It's about dose, but I'd prefer to simply have more fish personally and/or feed them more.

Regards,
Tom Barr

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Tom Barr;48657 said:
I'm not suggesting not to test, I'm suggesting if you bother, then do it right with high confidence.
Then you can be pretty sure.
Better to know .......than not.
Then you can also say something about your test method and kit.

Regards,

Tom Barr

OK, I'll do it right:)