Suggested light for a (cheap) 20 gl tank?

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Hello everyone,
I am planning to setup a 20gl tank in my garage just for plants, but I don't want to invest too much money, it'd be a "testing" tank and a "temporary" tank where I'd put plants before to ship them.

Here is the cheap tank I plan buying from Petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aqueon-glass-aquarium-31896.html?cgid=300207

Size of the tank would be 30.5" x 13" x 13"

Tank will be high-tech (Co2 injected), so light should give me at least 60-100 PAR at the substrate (by using that tank, that'd be at around 12 inches from the light).

I am thinking about a LED light like the Finnex 24/7, but I am not sure if PAR would be adequate... what would you suggest? I could also consider a set of T5s, but I'd like to be able to stay within a $100 budget if possible. I am not interested much in dawn-sunset effects or other stuff, as I said, this will be a "working" tank and not a display tank.

Looking forward for your suggestions! Thank you in advance!

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
In tanks that are less than 2ft deep, I always suggest the Fluval Aquasky (its whats on my fluval).
People say its for low tech but I have to highly disagree ;) its making history in my tank lol. Idk what par it can give off at that certain depth (thirteen inches) but when the light is ramped up on high, its BrIgHt!

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
In tanks that are less than 2ft deep, I always suggest the Fluval Aquasky (its whats on my fluval).
People say its for low tech but I have to highly disagree ;) its making history in my tank lol. Idk what par it can give off at that certain depth (thirteen inches) but when the light is ramped up on high, its BrIgHt!

Cool! I'll see if I can find out its PAR. Thanks!