This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Suggested light for a (cheap) 20 gl tank?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by fablau, Sep 2, 2017.

1. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:38 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I am planning to setup a 20gl tank in my garage just for plants, but I don't want to invest too much money, it'd be a "testing" tank and a "temporary" tank where I'd put plants before to ship them.

Here is the cheap tank I plan buying from Petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aqueon-glass-aquarium-31896.html?cgid=300207

Size of the tank would be 30.5" x 13" x 13"

Tank will be high-tech (Co2 injected), so light should give me at least 60-100 PAR at the substrate (by using that tank, that'd be at around 12 inches from the light).

I am thinking about a LED light like the Finnex 24/7, but I am not sure if PAR would be adequate... what would you suggest? I could also consider a set of T5s, but I'd like to be able to stay within a $100 budget if possible. I am not interested much in dawn-sunset effects or other stuff, as I said, this will be a "working" tank and not a display tank.

Looking forward for your suggestions! Thank you in advance!

2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:38 AM
    In tanks that are less than 2ft deep, I always suggest the Fluval Aquasky (its whats on my fluval).
    People say its for low tech but I have to highly disagree ;) its making history in my tank lol. Idk what par it can give off at that certain depth (thirteen inches) but when the light is ramped up on high, its BrIgHt!

3. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:38 PM
    Cool! I'll see if I can find out its PAR. Thanks!