This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden Nerite Die Off

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by geektom, Jan 9, 2019.

1. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:07 PM
    Hey guys and gals - need you help with a mystery. Came home last night to at least 10 of my 20 + nerites in the big tank lying dead on the open sand. I can only assume there are others in the plants.

Ammonia and nitrites all at zero, nitrate totally acceptable, CO2 is normal, fish seem unaffected, pH was 6.8 which is normal for the end of the day... I am stumped!

The only change I can think of is that I decided to try dry dosing my ferts instead of making a solution... maybe I overdosed by accident? Too much copper in the Micro’s or something?

Any ideas?

#1 geektom, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. echocinco

echocinco New Member

Local Time:
    6:07 AM
    My index for suspicion of the dry ferts is pretty high given the information provided. Sudden death like that makes me think toxin, poison, etc.

What did you dose, how much, etc.

Also, have you confirmed that they are actually dead dead? Theres a minor possibility that they closed off because they are stressed and might still be alive.

Regards,
    Ed

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:07 PM
    Thanks, Ed. Yes, I confirmed they were dead- flaps were open and loose.

I am using the rotalabutterfly calculator, dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B, all from Green Leaf Aquarium. I don’t have the exact amounts handy, but I measured carefully according to the calculator- I even allowed for the fact that my 135g only carries about 105g of water.