This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden Drop In Co2 Use After Trimming?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by edwardsmith, Apr 13, 2018.

1. edwardsmith

edwardsmith Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:53 AM
    I use an Apex to measure my pH and control my CO2, hence it shows me how often the CO2 is on. I did a large trimming and replanting and, for the moment, there is a much smaller plant bioload. At the same time, I re-calibrated the pH probe.

After those actions, my CO2 injection decreased significantly. I'm assuming that's from the decreased plant load? Is that a common experience? Just paranoid that I need a new pH probe. Thanks!

2. Swissal

Swissal Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have had similar thoughts in the past, but in my opinion it is normally a calibration issue. I don`t know how the apex works, I have a GHL system, but I guess they work on a similar principle. On the GHL I can read the calibration data of the probes, so I always note these values before doing a calibration, and then again after. If the values are grossly different, then something either went wrong with the calibration, or the probe is on it`s way out. Once, the probe really was playing up, and the CO2 consumption changed dramatically. Since then I never re-calibrate and make other changes at the same time, otherwise if such an effect like what you`re seeing does occur, then you can`t identify what the cause was.
    If you are able to read the calibration data on the Apex (it must be possible), then I would suggest you read this before you re-calibrate next time, and compare the values to those after the calibration. I guess it`s too late for that this time though, since the new calibratin data has already been saved to the Apex.
    Also, if the calibration data does change dramatically, it doesn`t necessarily mean you need a new probe immediately. It just means you are operating in a different range, and that you maybe need to keep an eye on it.

Allwissend likes this.
  3. edwardsmith

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, the probe is almost 2 years old and I have new one laying around, Im just going to switch it out. Thanks!

4. edwardsmith

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yep, switch out for a new pH probe and there was a 0.5 difference. Thanks!

Tags: