This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Substrates? ADA?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Ellusionist, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ellusionist

Ellusionist Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:38 PM
    So I think I'm driving myself nuts over this and need opinions. Should I just go with the full ADA substrate method for Dutch planted? All the layers seems like a lot, but in the end seems worth it. ADA seems pricy but I guess you get what you pay for?

I was going to use the AquariumPlants.com Aquadert but I can find any good reviews on it.

I would like to keep some shrimp also, as long as I cycle the ADA Amazonia I should be good, right?

Also for a finished look and color (black) is black sand the best to use?

Thanks!

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Amazonia alone, with nothing else works great. Just 50% water changes 2-3 times a week until it's fully cycled, and you're good to go. Mine took 2 weeks, seeded with mulm from a well-established tank.

3. Ellusionist

Local Time:
    I think that was what a lot of what people were forgetting to do with their tanks. I read some articles that shrimp were dying and when they tested the ammonia level it was at hazardous levels.

Do you know what the benefits if any are with the add layers within the ADA substrate? Any other alternatives?

ADA is safe for Shrimp once cycled, right?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    No, just do what Christophe said, the other stuff is snake oil, marketing more stuff. Frequent water changes when you initially start the tank= good idea no matter what method or sediment you plan on using. Tweak CO2 good and then...after 1-2 months, add fish/shrimp etc. Adding shrimp to a new tank is frankly sort of dumb. I add Cherries and amano's about 2-3 weeks in along with some Bristle nose plecos. Main fish about 1-2 months in.

5. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    I'd personally like to see another alternative to the best soil (not in looks) out there. I found that I ran out of what? NH4 way too quickly....Plants grew mad for the first few months, now I'm having problem getting the balance right after depletion. I think it was all the water changes and the high co2, things were looking great, but then a constant battle of different algaes cause I can't find the right balance to my tank..

6. Ellusionist

Local Time:
    Strungout, so you are saying you did not like ADA because you ran out of NH4 to quickly? Did you end up having to liquid supplement?

7. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    I'm saying it ran out of something too quickly, I invested 4 bags (the larger ones) of soil and it seemed to degrade pretty quick. Plants were growing like mad at first, they still growing, but now I can't seem to balance the tank as well. In the beginning it was just way too easy, just water change, high co2 and everything was golden. I still think its the best soil out there. Yeah I ended up using liquid fertilizers.

2 people like this.
  8. krucianking

krucianking Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Do you guys recommend dirted tank ada can be so expensive

9. Ellusionist

Local Time:
    Where is the best place to get ADA? Seems they have a lot of additives. If you want to cap the ADA with a color, like black, would you just use a black sand lightly layered? Might help with holding things like babies tears.

Thoughts?

10. jard

jard New Member

Local Time:
    To the best of my knowledge there are only two places to get it online, one is the ADA website and the other is aquatic-garden. Individuals seem to be pretty successful growing fine rooted plants (HC/babies tears) with just aqua soil, I would just use the sand cap if you are wanting a different color surface color than the options provided from the aqua soil.

#10 jard, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015